Carbohydrate blockers

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I hope you are enjoying the lovely weather! I have just been in Boots and they sell carbohydrate (and fat) blockers.
Has anyone tried these to bring blood sugars down? It is apparently one of the side effects? Or to loose a few pounds?
Thanks

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are drugs like Orlistat that can yield modest results or some prescription drugs like Forxiga that can filter out glucose through your urine.

However, if you're looking for a quick fix, these aren't the answer. Some of these drugs work by causing your kidneys and organs to work harder which may provide temporary results, but can have pretty significant long-term side-effects.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are concerned about high carbohydrate levels, why not just reduce your consumption of them?? That way you're more likely to reduce both your glucose levels and your weight, and without any potential side effects.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
There are drugs like Orlistat that can yield modest results or some prescription drugs like Forxiga that can filter out glucose through your urine.

However, if you're looking for a quick fix, these aren't the answer. Some of these drugs work by causing your kidneys and organs to work harder which may provide temporary results, but can have pretty significant long-term side-effects.

Not to mention Orlistat (Xenical) can have some very unpleasant side effects - anything fatty does indeed get blocked, but then passes through the digestive system very quickly, resulting in awful yellow oily diarrhoea (sorry if tmi). My daughter was prescribed it for a month or so, and lost a couple of pounds, but I wouldn't recommend it!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Stay away from drugs that claim this. Just reduce your carbs to a level your meter is happy with.

Reactions: 2 people