1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carbohydrate enjoyment

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by PaulAshby, Feb 11, 2021.

1. PaulAshby

PaulAshby Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've got background retinopathy, but have had it a while and get tested every year, trust me I understand the fear of complications but I couldn't live happily without carbs

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. PaulAshby

Absolutely, I do spike a lot to be honest, I know it's not ideal but I just love the bad stuff too much so do a lot of BG testing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SarahEN

SarahEN · Well-Known Member

This made me giggle a bit tbh. I have on many an occasion weighed up my right toenail against a cookie & the cookie won. However as a T2 I have to largely ignore cookies despite how lovely they are. Plus I hate needles more than I love cookies & the thought of jabbing myself repeatedly on a daily basis makes me want to vom.

I think if they said the only way to avoid insulin was to cut cheese out of my diet it would be a completely different story though!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

So could you live happily without your eyesight?

Genuine question.. It seems a bit counter intuitive to me but blindness has always been my greatest fear so a huge motivator.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is Paul really saying that?, I don't think so. I think it's about weighing up the risk and being prepared to take it or not rather than an absolute choice between one outcome and another. The odds are that most diabetics can eat carbs or have retinopathy without going blind. Having said that, personally I minimise all risks in the best way I can. It's a bit like a smoker I guess, they carry on smoking not because they could 'happily live with cancer or no limbs' but because they have decided upon a risk they can live with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Situations and choices are often not black and white.

Happiness is important. We make our choices based in many factors.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I don't know that's why I asked.
    I do know that food addictions are incredibly strong things and need a lot of effort to overcome.
    I found that using my fears as a motivator was very helpful.
    Simply trying to understand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. PaulAshby

Obviously I don't want to go blind or limbless but I don't need to be as afraid of carbs as people make out, they're controllable as many things are in life.

(Edited by mod for clarity)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #28 PaulAshby, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:36 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2021
  9. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

My DN said exactly the same not accepting I was LADA. A year later she said I needed to go onto insulin!

10. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Even T1s may need to control their weight by keeping the carbs down; I certainly need to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

The relative risks of fat and carbohydrate in the development of sight-threatening retinopathy can differ between between people. If someone is diagnosed late in life with type 2 diabetes, fairly soon after they develop the disease, they are likely to have little underlying damage in the blood vessels of the retina and a low carb diet may prevent future damage from hyperglycaemia. However, with somebody who has been diagnosed early in life with type 1 diabetes, has been diabetic for many years and has already got underlying vessel damage in the retina, it might be preferable for them to be slightly hyperglycaemic than to have a blood lipid profile which increases the risk of maculopathy. (Maculopathy is a bigger cause of sight loss than proliferative retinopathy.)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Could you enlarge on that a bit, do you mean lipids rather than glucose lead to maculopathy?

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying that both are considered to be risk factors for diabetic maculopathy and that it's possible that moderately good glycaemic control with an ideal lipid profile might give an overall lower risk of sight-loss than perfect glycaemic control with a less than ideal lipid profile. The evidence is quite hazy and some of it is contradictory and a lot more research is needed - so I'm not saying that this is definitely the case. My point is that we can't assume that a low carb diet would be better for someone who is not overweight and may already have some underlying retinal damage.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I was told I had background retinopathy after my first check. A year of low carbing later it had gone away.
    My doctor says my cholesterol is high (it is average) but being 70 and female, the records show that I am likely to live longer than if I lower it, so I will continue to resist statins, or any similar drug.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Maco

Maco Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@PaulAshby, couldn’t agree with you more but I’m type 1 like yourself. I know my carb ratios, I understand when to pre bolus for certain meals etc. So if I want to eat a tonne of carbs one day then why the hell not. Don’t get me wrong I diet & train hard all week apart from a Saturday, the days I’m dieting I eat around 130–150g of carbs per day. On a Saturday I probably eat 300 + grams of carbs. If I want a great big pizza & a bag of chocolate after then I’ll eat it 100%!

Few people might of seen me blag on about it before, but I know a few type 1 bodybuilders who are currently eating 450grams of carbs a day 7 days a week.

You could easily consuming 450grams of low fat healthy carbs & bolus accordingly. On the other hand you could eat 100-150g of unhealthy fatty carbs and spike your readings. It’s all about decisions

[Edited by moderator to remove inappropriate content]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #35 Maco, Feb 15, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2021
  16. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm type 1 but matching insulin to carbs to avoid big spikes followed by big drops is stressful. Lots of carbs just makes me feel hungover - so I don't these days. I miss pasta!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. PaulAshby

Yeah, get you on that, just been hypo for that reason, might try this no carb thing but don't want to give em up totally.

18. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

The way I look at it.. Spuds, pasta, some breads for me can be tricky with regards to how the insulin injected is supposed to (regarding it's working profile.) work on "paper." & sometimes a consistent conflict with the reality regarding digestion & metabolism.?
    Pizza. Yeahhhh, there are tips like dual bolusing. But who wants to seriously mess with that during a night with the lads?

Though, to be fair, there probably is more room to play about with it as a T1 with regards to these lockdowns. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

And herein lies the problem with two distinctly different conditions having the same name and at times the same treatment options.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@Circuspony have you tried cooking pasta, swilling it under a cold tap then reheating? I’m T2 diet controlled and find that provided I don’t have too big a portion it doesn’t affect my BS too much doing this way.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook