1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carbohydrate recommendations

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by finsit, Oct 15, 2021.

1. finsit

finsit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Being a diabetic for almost a year now, and also being part of this forum, i have learnt a lot. I also did hundreds of experiments on myself to understand "my own" diabetes and overall physiology of metabolic disorder. I am also doing some welfare work on spreading word out for the less fortunate communities where language and access to such information is a barrier.

So I thought of empowering myself with some recognised certification to start with before going for a higher studies. I have done my Level-2 Health & Nutrition certificate this month, which was pretty interesting. Now I have enrolled myself in a Level-2 certificate in "Care and Management of Diabetes". Well, here is what I have just found and I am just stunned to see that even they have made a case FOR carbohydrates. Does this make sense to anyone?

upload_2021-10-15_21-48-56.png

2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

yep. I come across this thinking all the time. They just dont get it, or dont update their information based on studies done in the last 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It makes no sense because it is nonsensical - I know perfectly well that when I can't get my usual shopping I can roast a chicken or eat steak and eggs and be just fine until the shelves fill up again.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

WOW I just realise I havent been functioning properly for over 10 years, since I started low carbing. Considering all I have done and achieved over that time, I wonder how much better i could have done with those pesky carbs, which slowed me down and fuzzed my mind for the decade before that??????

(sarcasm)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

The one thing most diabetics don't need is a little extra glucose. |The small amounts low carbers consume is more than enough...... in my own experince.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

No, because it is completely wrong.

Zero Carbs Required.png

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Members like @bulkbiker above would have been dead or in a coma years ago if the carb requirement held true.
    The wonderful thing about low carb is that the body has to create it's own glucose through the liver tapping your fat stores.
    A biproduct of this is weight loss which further increases insulin sensitivity.
    It's a win win win.

There's a major gap in the market for a Weight Watchers/Slimming World startup that does low carb.
    Someone remind me to patent that tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Firstly good for you for getting a qualification which may give you a broad focus on the topic of nutrtion. Lots of people are very interested in the topic and the fitness market has responded with courses but tends to play it safe by following the party line on high carb/low fat being best for all and 'energy balance' being the way to think about weight loss/gain.
    I've got a level 3 Nutrition qualification which I just haven't used! Instead I found Precision Nutation's course to be much more nuanced and up to date on this topic. I've put the link in because they have some useful articles and infographics:
    https://www.precisionnutrition.com/...Kf2hoo76qBiy96aOrxboWFWOiTyEp9nhoCgJ8QAvD_BwE

As you will know from this forum and from your own experience ingestion of carbs isn't essential though it is true that the brain needs glucose or ketones to keep running. Given that fact, the body has evolved a way to make the necessary fuel via gluconeogenesis (liver using up stored fat).
    If you are discussing the topic of carbohydrates I've found the Visual Guides in Diet Doctor's site or the free resouces available through Public Health Consortium
    https://phcuk.org/resources/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NicoleC1971

Virta Health have got there in the US.
    There is a disadvantage to the low carb model - you can't sell rubbish processed carbs as part of your business model and you might not get any repeat customers!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Who says I'm not typing from the beyond though..... spooky!

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It goes against science, but with (fast) food manufacturers and retailers.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for the course and your certification, and that you feed back your concerns to the course developers.
    The first two talk bubbles are fine. It is the third "medical" one which is a load of baloney.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Madisons

Madisons · Well-Known Member

Hi, struggling with a A1c of 6.1 that remained unchanged for 6 months since cutting out complex carbs, and limited fruit to 2 pieces a day (2 slices of apple in afternoon, raspberries in evening). Now found out that I also have genetic high cholesteral and fatty liver. Does eating fat cause fatty liver? I have been eating alot of cheese, sardines, salmon, nuts, avocado, and greek yogurt in the past 6 months and now I'm supposed to cut it out of my diet as my GP says??? Why are the doctors all against the high-fat foods, but eat healthy carbs like legumes, sweet potatoes, quinoa...etc....even the dieticians push this mediterraen diet...but what if you can't?

13. Madisons

Madisons · Well-Known Member

Also, want to add that for breakfast, I have porridge made out of fatty flaxseeds, hemp, chia, almond meal, shredded coconut with pumpkin seeds and walnuts. Thought this was good for me....

14. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Allegedly eating fruit is a main cause of a fatty liver.
    Fructose goes straight to the liver and deposits as fat.

As far as I know most fat storage is from carbohydrates but as you have a genetic condition the rules may be different..
    Perhaps a thread of your own to ask specific questions?

15. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pura Vida

Pura Vida Type 2 · Well-Known Member

same for me, but i also shred 1/4 of an apple in it and some double cream

17. finsit

finsit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you so much @NicoleC1971 and please suggest some more certification that i could take on. My aim is to be able to guide diabetics with some level of certification that would allow me to tap into this sector. I am a digital marketing professional and definitely i am not doing these certification to change my career or anything, its just that some people won't listen to you unless you have some sort of recognised certification. I personally don't eat lots of carbs and I have seen things improving in the last year or so, so i totally agree that we don't need carbs to survive. The bare minimum requirement of about 150-200 gm of carb requirement for brain, kidney and RBC can be met efficiently by body itself.

18. NicoleC1971

I did my Precision Nutrition certificate online and the value to me wasn't in getting a certificate. I find that if you have confidence and your own story to tell, you can help people as long as you frame your advice as not coming from a dietician and recognise when you are out of your depth. The certification is also very much about being a good coach rather than knowing everything as it is obvious that nutrition 'science' changes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

20. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Reading the bubbles again, the third one fails because of the inclusion of "without".... one thing diabetics are not without are carbohydrates, or the ability to handle them "normally",
    so...... no need for more.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook