Carbs or Sugar?

spurslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Just a quick question, started to get my bg lvls down into range but now they have gone up slightly. Could this be that I am looking at what sugar is in things and not looking at carb content? I have been on insulin Humulin M3 for 3 weeks now.
Should I be carb counting and not sugar counting?

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In a short answer yes, sugar is just a very fast acting carb which will cause a spike in your bg faster than other carbs but they will all increase you bg. Ask your DN/GP to refer you to a DAFNE course, they'll teach you how to carb count

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you need to look at total carbs. The other thing to be careful with is fibre. It's also a carb, but either digested very slowly or not at all. Some nutrition labels include fibre in carbs, soem don't so if you have a high fibre diet you may need to adjust your doses downwards slightly.

I find this is the case with something like a lentil and bean chilli for example.

DAFNE is great, but will not teach you subtleties like this - that's coem through a bit of trial and error

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Look at total carbs as all carbs will contribute to blood sugar although low-GI carbs will minimise spikes