1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carbs

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Alicki, Jul 27, 2016.

1. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh my Kristin, I had not taken offense at all, I agree with you. I shouldn't post at 3 am without double checking how I sound. What I meant was that I am trying to change those things about me successfully but slowly. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

2. Alicki

Alicki Reactive hypoglycemia · Well-Known Member

Hi Kirsten, olive oil works well, avocado in small quantities and a few nuts. I can stand cottage cheese, no other dairy. Crackers are ok if 1-2 a day (5g carbs per cracker). It looks like I might have to have op after all to get removal of gallbladder. But not this summer, want to enjoy summer

3. Bluebell_GB

Bluebell_GB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't worry too much about the op. Provided it is keyhole it really isn't that big a deal. I was back at work 3 days later and pretty much back to normal in 2 weeks.

Regards

Bluebell

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I don't think us in the UK are going to have a summer!
    It's been awful!
    Just a couple of decent hot days! Lots of rain and temperatures in the teens!

5. Alicki

Thanks bluebell. My issue is that the sludge is in the ducts and there s no one who can guarantee that removing the gallbladder will prevent sludge forming in ducts. I'm doing quite well now, just scared that things will go downhill - need time to process this before deciding! And it's only been 3 weeks I've got life back

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. Alicki

Whao that's cold!!!

7. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

No that's quite warm to us at the moment!

8. AtkinsMo

AtkinsMo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Nobody will promise you that you won't keep forming sludge in the duct because they are used to managing people eating low fat. Eat the fat you can manage, why not an avacado with every meal? Coconut oil possible? Try slightly increasing fat on a weekly basis, keep the gall bladder contracting and doing it's job properly and you may stop making the sludge.

I also had keyhole surgery which went well and I was fine in a few days. They presented me with the gallstones in a pot, disgusting things, went straight in the bin!

9. knoxy55

knoxy55 Type 2 · Active Member

This is very interesting thread. I have tried to follow the low carb diet on here but my problem is that I don't eat a lot of foods that are allowed. I followed diet advice for low fat diet for many years (by a well known company) and I think that has something to do with the situation I am in now. Things I don't eat are chicken, turkey, all type of bird at all, fish of any type, avocado and don't go overboard on fresh fruit and vegetables. I use crackers or high fibre/low GI bread and try to keep off scones etc. I allow myself 2 squares of 70% cocoa chocolate if the notion for something sweet hits in the evening. I have under active thyroid and high blood pressure controlled by medication. I just can't get any weight off although my waist has gone down 4 inches which I am pleased about. Any ideas for meals would be gratefully received as it is 'wearing' me down,

Helen

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. Sally_Ann_W

Sally_Ann_W · Active Member

I'm at that stage too. But I'm going to try 85% chocolate melted with coconut oil and liquid Stevua and some pumpkin seeds and nuts spread on as this should be low carb :)

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · BANNED

@knoxy55 your question has piqued my interest. What do you eat to meet your protein and fat requirements? Also your fiber and micronutrient requirements (i.e. vegetables and fruit). What are typical meals and snacks for you? Also, how's your overall health: lab work, blood pressure, etc.? What are your health goals?

12. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep

13. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I just quit coffee today. Raised bs and BP. Wish me luck!! So far rather easy. Hope to be done before the dark dreary cold weather hits

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook