1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

carbs

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by glitterzoe, Oct 26, 2009.

1. glitterzoe

glitterzoe · Active Member

I have been reading most of the post and find the carb counting keep coming up. Now may be I am wrong but whan I was first diagnosed (1979) My mother was told all about carbs and how much was in each meal, I have always kept to the rule 40 carbs for breakfast, 20 mid-morning, 40 for lunch, 20 mid-afternoon, 50 for tea and 10 befor bed (I am right in thinking carbs are carbohydrates).
    So everything that I am reading seems to be going back to the old method of control, is this correct or am I just reading too much into it :lol: :?:

2. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

The difference is that then the amount eaten was matched to a prescribed amount of insulin
    Thats what I was told to do when diagnosed, only a few years ago. I was told 40- 50 for breakfast, 50-60 for lunch and 70-80 for dinner(though they would rather I had eaten the larger meal at lunchtime) No snacks as they should't be necessary if the basal is correct, with modern basal/bolus insulins

However, many of us now adjust the insulin dose on a meal by meal basis to match the amount of carbs we choose to eat.

3. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

Sounds very familiar! When I was diagnosed it was all about "exchanges", 1 exchange = 10g carb (1 slice of bread, 1 apple etc), which was all fairly easy if rudimentary, as I was at school so fixed mealtimes etc. As soon as I left I quickly moved onto basal/bolus style (although it wasn't officially called that) and learned to adapt accordingly, altering my insulin dose according to what I ate. Which I still do, although rather more accurately in that I now weigh absolutely everything to the nearest gram. I find I have to do this as my insulin/carb ratio varies according to time of day, and I hate making mistakes.

4. glitterzoe

Thanks for the replies :p I also adjust and have done for a number of years, my diabetese is under good control and I think myself very lucky to have type 1 and not type 2. Why you may ask well I would hate to have NO pudding EVER AGAIN but with the insulin I can "cheat" now and again :lol:

5. cugila

cugila · Master

Ah, but you see. Us WELL CONTROLLED T2's don't have to 'cheat'. I have nice puddings as often as I want, all within my daily carb allowance. :lol: :D

6. glitterzoe

your a lucky bu***r :lol: :lol: its nice to know though

7. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ken - agree completely! Nothing staves off the sugar cravings like a nice strawberry mousse (home made, of course!)or a lemon cheesecake (with a macdamia and butter base).

In fact, I think I'll make a cheesecake tonight...

8. yipster29

yipster29 · Well-Known Member

oooh ooh Patch.... I've been on the look out for a nice cheese cake recipe as it's one of the 'better puds' and rather lovely.... any chance of a recipe for your one with macademia and butter base... :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook