carbs

glitterzoe

I have been reading most of the post and find the carb counting keep coming up. Now may be I am wrong but whan I was first diagnosed (1979) My mother was told all about carbs and how much was in each meal, I have always kept to the rule 40 carbs for breakfast, 20 mid-morning, 40 for lunch, 20 mid-afternoon, 50 for tea and 10 befor bed (I am right in thinking carbs are carbohydrates).
So everything that I am reading seems to be going back to the old method of control, is this correct or am I just reading too much into it :lol: :?:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The difference is that then the amount eaten was matched to a prescribed amount of insulin
Thats what I was told to do when diagnosed, only a few years ago. I was told 40- 50 for breakfast, 50-60 for lunch and 70-80 for dinner(though they would rather I had eaten the larger meal at lunchtime) No snacks as they should't be necessary if the basal is correct, with modern basal/bolus insulins

However, many of us now adjust the insulin dose on a meal by meal basis to match the amount of carbs we choose to eat.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Sounds very familiar! When I was diagnosed it was all about "exchanges", 1 exchange = 10g carb (1 slice of bread, 1 apple etc), which was all fairly easy if rudimentary, as I was at school so fixed mealtimes etc. As soon as I left I quickly moved onto basal/bolus style (although it wasn't officially called that) and learned to adapt accordingly, altering my insulin dose according to what I ate. Which I still do, although rather more accurately in that I now weigh absolutely everything to the nearest gram. I find I have to do this as my insulin/carb ratio varies according to time of day, and I hate making mistakes.

glitterzoe

Thanks for the replies :p I also adjust and have done for a number of years, my diabetese is under good control and I think myself very lucky to have type 1 and not type 2. Why you may ask well I would hate to have NO pudding EVER AGAIN but with the insulin I can "cheat" now and again :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
glitterzoe said:
Thanks for the replies :p I also adjust and have done for a number of years, my diabetese is under good control and I think myself very lucky to have type 1 and not type 2. Why you may ask well I would hate to have NO pudding EVER AGAIN but with the insulin I can "cheat" now and again :lol:

Ah, but you see. Us WELL CONTROLLED T2's don't have to 'cheat'. I have nice puddings as often as I want, all within my daily carb allowance. :lol: :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ken - agree completely! Nothing staves off the sugar cravings like a nice strawberry mousse (home made, of course!)or a lemon cheesecake (with a macdamia and butter base).

In fact, I think I'll make a cheesecake tonight...

yipster29

oooh ooh Patch.... I've been on the look out for a nice cheese cake recipe as it's one of the 'better puds' and rather lovely.... any chance of a recipe for your one with macademia and butter base... :)