Carbs

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dietician recommends, based on the Australian Dietary Guidelines, that I increase my carbohydrate intake to 40-65% of my energy intake for a day. I decided to do the maths. I will assume that protein and carbs provide 16.9 kJ/g and fats 37.7 kJ/g. My total energy intake for a day, on average, is 7500 kJ. So, let's go in between the 40-65% recommendation and go with 50% (I eat fewer carbs than that). That's 3750 kJ I am supposed to be getting from carbs. Divide that by 16.9 = 234 grams of carbs A DAY. Isn't this a bit ridiculous? Without trying to restrict my carbs I'm lucky to get 110 grams a day (i.e. without trying I get less than 25% of my energy from carbs). So, I am supposed to INCREASE my intake of carb foods that I have no interest in because they're bland and nutrient poor rubbish. And this is good for my diabetes? Does anyone else find this crazy? I don't want to eat carbs. I do not like carbs. This isn't a fad interest of mine, I just don't like high carb foods, they taste like @$*(@ and I have no interest in them. I never have. Rant over.

Last edited:

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What am I supposed to do? Eat 900 cups of rice with every meal?! I don't like rice. I don't like pasta. I don't like bread. I don't want to eat all that stuff. Bland waste of space

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just checked and my average BGL over the last 3 months (measured by my Libre) is 5.6 mmol/L. Why am a expected to at least double my carb intake? Is there a secret that I am not aware of?

• Hug
Reactions: filly

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just checked and my average BGL over the last 3 months (measured by my Libre) is 5.6 mmol/L. Why am a expected to at least double my carb intake? Is there a secret that I am not aware of?
I guess the secret may be outdated guidelines and misinformed dieticians?

The amount of carbs people (diabetics of all types and non diabetics) eat varies a lot depending on personal preference and in the case of diabetics on diabetes management as well.

For myself, I find insulin dosing and preventing sharp spikes and drops much easier on less carbs, others do well on a medium or high carb diet.
What are you seeing the dietician for? Weight issues, help with learning to dose your insulin, other eating issues?

I was offered a dietician upon diagnosis, visited her once but didn't find it useful so I've declined afterwards.
My endo is happy with the way I eat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this is good for my diabetes? Does anyone else find this crazy?
Yes indeed absolutely crazy. Personally I'd ignore any dietician who said such ridiculous things.

Or maybe ask how many T2's under their care had achieved remission following such poor advice?

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess the secret may be outdated guidelines and misinformed dieticians?

The amount of carbs people (diabetics of all types and non diabetics) eat varies a lot depending on personal preference and in the case of diabetics on diabetes management as well.

For myself, I find insulin dosing and preventing sharp spikes and drops much easier on less carbs, others do well on a medium or high carb diet.
What are you seeing the dietician for? Weight issues, help with learning to dose your insulin, other eating issues?

I was offered a dietician upon diagnosis, visited her once but didn't find it useful so I've declined afterwards.
My endo is happy with the way I eat.
I think I'm seeing the dietician because it's part of getting things given to me for free (e.g. Libre). I certainly don't think she knows much but I think I have to keep seeing her. I'm not 100% sure on that but it seems to be part of the deal (?)

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes indeed absolutely crazy. Personally I'd ignore any dietician who said such ridiculous things.
The thing is... I have to keep a diary now. So I am going to have to lie about how many carbs a day I have (??); i.e. I'm going to add bread and rice and pasta to every meal in the silly diary. I'm not going to lie in the diary. I don't eat that stuff. Why would anyone want to have tasteless stuff with every meal? It's crazy

Last edited:

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @plantae I think it is an education thing - I eat maybe 100g carbs a day, I find it a bit boring and monotonous and get cravings for a jacket potato every now and again, but I have managed to get through Christmas not feeling too much like I've missed out. I have seen/spoken to my dietician, endo and practice nurse all in the last month, and all have accepted that my carb intake is great (because of my HbA1c and Libre AGP) as long as it is not affecting me 'mentally'. I am restricting mine to prolong the time I don't need insulin, 12 months after diagnosis and still going strong.

If you fib about your carb intake it will get them in a muddle about the amount of insulin you are using etc, so I would just tell the truth, and eat what you want, as it is working for you. Obviously if they can give you a really good reason why you 'specifically' need to eat more and no doubt take more insulin to counteract it (!?), and not just because of a formulae they got given on a course once upon a time, then I'd tell then you are happy as you are.

Good luck!

Reactions: plantae

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'm seeing the dietician because it's part of getting things given to me for free (e.g. Libre). I certainly don't think she knows much but I think I have to keep seeing her. I'm not 100% sure on that but it seems to be part of the deal (?)
Even if you have to keep seeing her, you're not obliged to follow her advice.
I agree with @Mrs HJG , either fill out the diary truthfully or not at all.
You can show her your Libre results as proof that what you are doing is working. If she doesn't accept this, ask your doctor.
Good luck!

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even if you have to keep seeing her, you're not obliged to follow her advice.
I agree with @Mrs HJG , either fill out the diary truthfully or not at all.
You can show her your Libre results as proof that what you are doing is working. If she doesn't accept this, ask your doctor.
Good luck!
Despite what I said before, I fill out my diary truthfully. What I said in a previous comment was out of pure frustration. I see no point in lying/fudging my diary. I eat what I eat. I don't like potatoes, I don't like bread, I don't like porridge, I don't like rice. So that's what she's gonna see :D I should have made that clearer in my earlier post. I don't condone faking a food diary. I eat what I eat :)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The dietician I had to see after my diagnosis insisted I wasn't eating enough carbs - although by then I was already at the lower end of pre-diabetes by restricting carbs.
I did my own research, and ignored her out-dated advice.

Reactions: filly and plantae

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The silly thing is I just want to reduce my basal dose. But the advice is "no, no, don't do that! Increase your carbs!" To which I say why? I'm actually eating more carbs now than I ever have in my life... just to keep my BGL graph looking nice. Yes, before I was on insulin my BG was crazy, but this is just as crazy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dietician recommends, based on the Australian Dietary Guidelines
You will find local information and opinions on the Australian guidelines from these 2 Australian doctors
They have a very good podcast too. Although marketed as weight loss its really all about low carb healthy eating