Carers allowance

Hi 3rd time iv tried this hope it works. Can someone tell me if I work and get dla high rate care can someone else claim care allowance for looking after me.
Many thanks.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi
if you work while your on dla you will find that you will recieve a letter of ATOS to attend a medical focused interview which will contradict your DLA claim and possibly your claim could be replaced with ESA be very carefull with your benefits as you will end up being told your fit to go to work. :wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
As far as I am aware the higher rate DLA care allowance is to help you pay for your care! Your carer is not entitled to claim it.

Also you would not be allowed to claim it if you are able to look after your self, so as already said be very careful.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
A carer can claim Carers Allowance for anybody on the middle or high rate of care DLA. The carer gets the money direct but it may be deducted from the person's DLA. Only one person can claim Carers Allowance for the person being looked after so, if there is more than one carer only one gets the Allowance.

I don't know, however if there is any difference if you are working.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
If you are on the upper rate DLA Care component

Someone else can claim Carer's Allowance? for looking after you .
when someone else is caring for you for more than 35hrs@week

The weekly Carer's Allowance rate is £53.90 Not really a weeks wage is it ?
for 35hrs works out £1.54 @hr

The person you care for could lose the severe disability premium in their income-related benefit or the addition for severe disability in their Pension Credit. If you only have an underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance and are not actually paid it, this will not affect the benefits of the person you care for.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...sAndOtherSupport/Caringforsomeone/DG_10018705

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son gets highest level DLA (not diabees related) and I claim seperately for carers allowance - it's a flat payment of aprx £55 a week. The Carer has to claim not you - it is a totally seperate claim and they have to be doing a considerable amount of things for you that you can't do for yourself. ( I am not sure but I think they have to be doing more than 35 hrs a week care)

The best thing to do is go along to CAB with your carer who is going to make the claim they will be very helpful and can sort out someone to help with making the claim.

the carer is also allowed to earn a certain amount of money a week ( also not sure on that but I think it's about £100)- but they can only claim one carers allowance even if they do care for more than one person.

Just because you work doesn't mean you don't need extra care or you will automatically lose your DLA

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's my understanding too Bowell :) -

I was told that DLA is for the extra expenses that your diability incurs above and beyond that of a non disabled person - But not to pay for carers.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Bob.
I bow to your knowledge about these benefits but it is a fact that as you alluded to earlier :
If you claim Carer's Allowance, it could affect the amount of benefit the person you care for receives.

The person you care for could lose the severe disability premium in their income-related benefit or the addition for severe disability in their Pension Credit. If you only have an underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance and are not actually paid it, this will not affect the benefits of the person you care for.

Informing the person you care for that you are making a claim

Because your claim for Carer's Allowance may affect the benefits of the person you are caring for, they need to write down on your claim form that:
• they know you are claiming Carer's Allowance
• you are caring for them for at least 35 hours a week

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... G_10012529

It is other benefits of the person cared for that may be affected.....not the DLA as far as I am aware.

bowell

Dislikes
Other befits Not your DLA
ie
Severe disability premium

Only thing can be taken from your DLA is the payment then only if you elect to use it too pay towards your mobility car,,, if you have one

I have Just phoned them to check

Mind you the CON-DEMS are going to change it all to the universal credit so only God knows
Whats going to happen ,,

Its why you have to OK the Carers payment to be linked to your DLA is to stop more then one person
getting the cares allowance,

You can claim and receive DLA if you Work or Not and will not effect your income tax

If in any doubt your local council will have a benefits adviser to inform help you ,on what you can and can not apply for

Sorry I'm very worried now I have been working all my life and I have been getting high rate dla for 3 different illnesses 1 being diabetes. From reading this

Will I lose my dla because im working??

Also my second question. As I work does this mean that I cannot have a carer? Who can claim the carers allowance For caring for me, like say my mother or wife?

If I lose my dla because I work will I have to repay what I have already got.

Many thanks for all the replies.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
You need a benefits expert to advise you. Start with CAB. The new regulations are a mine- field and ATOS take no prisoners !

The person that does the most caring for you should be the one to claim carers allowance.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Only you know your personal circumstances. If you are eligible for DLA but can also work then you need to ask the experts.

No one here is an expert although some have knowledge through personal experience.

bowell

Dislikes
If you are eligible for DLA ,,looks like you are as you are already receiving DLA

You can receive DLA if you Work or Not
DLA is to cover the extra costs of being disabled DLA is a NON taxable benefit
that every eligible Disabled person entitled to

I use mine to help purchase a better electric wheelchair
You could use yours for a car to help get you to work or spend it on wheelchair taxis

If you are having problems understanding the benefits system

Go and see citizens advice or local benefits adviser at your local council

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI
I was told by the appeal panel that DLA does not affect any other benefit and you can still work and claim DLA its the only benefit thats not means tested. So if you work you are still entitled to claim DLA.

BethAliceC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With DLA they got a bit strict about giving it out, so it's more difficult to get it for diabetes but you still can

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get DLA/PIP & work. Both benefits are made up of care and mobility components. If you get the higher award for mobility, you can use that part to have a motility car. You can get DLA/PIP when you're working. Depending in the rate of DLA/PIP you get, your carer may be able to claim Carers Allowance. If you your carer applies for Carers allowance they must care for you for a minimum of 35 hours per week. Earn less than £102 per week, and be over 16. Rules differ for Northern Ireland. Google carers allowance and go into gov.uk website. It gives lots of info. If your carer doesn't have an income and their savings are under the limits, they can claim Income Support while their Carers Allowance claim goes through. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people