caribbean cruise

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all. I recently booked to go on a cruise for my honeymoon.

It's a 7 night cruise . I have a few questions

We have an 8 hour flight Dublin to Atlanta then another hour to Florida . I'm a little concerned about shifting my levmir does with the time difference . Also it's the first time I've been on a long hall flight Im not sure what the in flight food will be like or how I will be greated by the tsa with my insulin . We will be visiting mexica jammica and hati . Do I need vaccinations for this ? Any other tips anyone has would be great

baz1191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise / saving money ...All the things I should be doing
I went to Cuba and they were very understanding at airports etc. I did get reported for doing drugs by the cleaner of the hotel who walked in on me injecting, but after the manager explained the situation to her, the next day she was fine and apologetic. I would double check what you are insured for though, if there are any problems it can cost a bit. I fell and split my head open, and my insurance had a £200 excess to pay. The doctor on site stitched it for £150 so it wasn't worth claiming for.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
(1) Doctor's letter with stamp, documenting that you are an insulin-dependent diabetic and must have all your insulin supplies with you in hand baggage. They won't ask for it, but I put it in the box with my insulin when I go through security.

You can't check it, as temperature control is crucial to insulin. No one will query that.

(2) Frio wallet from Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=31rMQnhTo+L&ref=plSrch

(3) Time zone changes - don't know, others need to advise you.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Others have covered the diabetic part, so i will help with the last question - Vaccination? Yes, you should see your doctor, your wife as well and you will likely need need some shots. You don't NEED them, but going to Mexico and Jamaica and Haiti can result in some fairly serious travelers diarrhea, and there is potential for hepatitis (probably other things as well).

Just remember - Don't drink the water! If you don't see it come out of a bottle yourself, avoid it lol I have heard so many stories of friends going down to mexico, and spending the entire time in the bathroom.