daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Be very careful as you can catch flu from them :( Use a pocket hand steriliser afterwards.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I don't have that problem Nigel.......my money is delivered by Courier....... :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I carry a pot of that hand sterilising gel in my bag. it happens to be pink, because my granddaughter likes it. It's good to use before eating out too.
Hana

Rushy

The usual scaremongering by the Daily Mail I see..
Simple personal hygiene, as most of us practice, will sort this little lot out without cause for panic.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would think that pretty much everything you touch inside your house or outdoors is going to be covered with a million types of different germs, thankfully our immune system generally keeps us safe, obviously it can and does let us down on occasions, generally by hand to mouth contact so good cleanliness is important but you cant live your life in a bubble and you certainly dont want to get into an OCD cycle of constantly worrying about washing germs away.

I remember being told years ago what was found to be on bowls of complimentary peanuts in pubs and never touching them again :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
I remember being told years ago what was found to be on bowls of complimentary peanuts in pubs and never touching them again :lol:

Yeah I remember that too Sid and never ate them again! :( That said you never see them on bars nowadays and more than likely it has been banned.

When I first left school I worked in a factory for a short time and there was a fella who use to eat his lunch in the toilet cubicle :shock:...........enough said!

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I bet he NEVER caught a cold in his life. :lol:

Germs don't frighten me - it's all a bit laughable, really.

Although my missus does carry that hand gel, and it is quite nice to clean up with after eating... (she's more afraid of germs than I am. She can see them, you see.)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:
I bet he NEVER caught a cold in his life. :lol:

Germs don't frighten me - it's all a bit laughable, really.

Although my missus does carry that hand gel, and it is quite nice to clean up with after eating... (she's more afraid of germs than I am. She can see them, you see.)

Germs.......laughable ???

They may be tiny microscopic things but they can KILL you. Not so funny then......

Here is a simple explanation about Germs.......

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/germs.html

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Germs are everywhere - apart from a few, we can come into contact with most of them and have no ill effects.

I just don't buy into the "antibacterial/protect your work surfaces/your kids will get sick if you don't use this product" hype.

Just me. I've got enough to worry about without washing my hands everytime I open a door or shake hands with someone! :wink:

(P.S - allergies among children are on a massive upsurge as a result of this fear-mongering)...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Quite agree........BUT.

When you have outbreaks of H1N1 and the Norovirus (Winter vomiting virus) extra precautions are good practice. Also, if you are visiting a hospital then taking extra precautions against MRSA spread is always a good idea.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I agree with Patch, oddly enough. :lol:

However with the Flu 'bug' being around and many deaths from it we should all just think basic hygiene. I too never 'mollycoddled' my kids and let them out to play and get dirty.....build up their immunity. They are healthier for it. I too don't believe in washing my hands after every contact with a stranger or machine as here.

It was your comment about Germs being laughable I don't agree with. I was aged 9 yrs when I caught Asian Flu......a germ, a Virus......I ended up in Hospital and it nearly killed me ! How did I catch it ?

In the local News the other day was the story of a 15 yr old dying from Tuberculosis......something we all thought was a thing of the past ? Some people in the community where she lived think nothing of spitting in the street, is that where the TB bug came from ?

Some basic hygiene rules help us all and it pays to be more vigilant nowadays with all the 'superbugs' surviving in even the cleanest of homes and Hospitals.

Scaremongering........No, just basic common sense.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree that it would never do to become obsessive about hygiene to the extent that it rules your life, however basic cleanliness is a must if you want to avoid being ill or passing on infections to others.

Both Salmonella and Hepatitis A can be passed on by someone using the bathroom and not washing their hands afterwards, this is passed on by shaking hands, opening doors or handling food for example, neither of these illnesses are in the slightest bit funny and can be life threatening in some cases.

Nigel

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was amused by the product (was it made by Dettol..can't remember now)... advertised on the telly a few weeks ago.... the blurb suggested that we are in danger of catching something nasty by touching the bottle of handwash gel, and therefore we all need to buy the new type which dispenses the stuff without touching it! We're just about to wash our flippin' hands, for goodness sake!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Dettol kills 99% of all known germs, they say - it's the 1% that kill you! Not to mention the unknown ones . . .

Rushy

You'd think three was more than enough ACTUAL NEWS to go around so why does the Daily Mail keep printing this rubbish..? I have a friend who buys the Daily Mail every day on his way to the office for one reason only.. So that he'll be properly furious by the time he gets there!
(Seriously)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Your friend is a genius! I hope I never meet him on his way to work. :wink: