Cashews

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have avoided cashew nuts as the nutrient informations says they are rather high in carbs with approximately 30 grams per 100 grams. Then recently I stumbled on an article that claimed they were high in resistant starch. I have now made a small experiment including 50 grams of cashews and five test sticks. Baseline 5.2 then tested every 30 min: 5.2, 5.5, 5.4, 4.9. Believe me, this is not my usual reaction to 15 grams of carbs.

I'm going to do it again in order to see if it will be the same result or if this was one-off. Looks promising though.

Reactions: 14 people

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started low carb I found macadamia were the lowest nuts. I've also tried whole almonds. Good results with both. These and cheese have become my snack food.

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's actually the possible resistant starch I'm after.

Reactions: 3 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have now made a small experiment including 50 grams of cashews and five test sticks. Baseline 5.2 then tested every 30 min: 5.2, 5.5, 5.4, 4.9. Believe me, this is not my usual reaction to 15 grams of carbs.

I'm going to do it again in order to see if it will be the same result or if this was one-off. Looks promising though.
Totto, what a good idea. I will do the same experiment. I'd love it if cashews were OK for my BG.

Kate

Reactions: 8 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat cashews with no problems too, I did wonder if the fat content was helping

Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I can eat cashews with no problems too, I did wonder if the fat content was helping
That's a good point. We bought a jar of cashew butter the other day and it is quite oily on top. Only one ingredient and is 51.3% fat.

I will be interested to read others' results regarding resistant starch. I have just eaten some cashew cheese for lunch. Not tested though as I am at work and other things influence my bg here :blackeye:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have avoided cashew nuts as the nutrient informations says they are rather high in carbs with approximately 30 grams per 100 grams. Then recently I stumbled on an article that claimed they were high in resistant starch. I have now made a small experiment including 50 grams of cashews and five test sticks. Baseline 5.2 then tested every 30 min: 5.2, 5.5, 5.4, 4.9. Believe me, this is not my usual reaction to 15 grams of carbs.

Interesting results. Were they raw or roasted (how), salted, etc?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Totto I see no real rise in BG levels when I eat nuts (of any type). They are full of fat and fibre so it releases its carbs very slowly.

Reactions: 5 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have now made a small experiment including 50 grams of cashews and five test sticks. Baseline 5.2 then tested every 30 min: 5.2, 5.5, 5.4, 4.9.
I've now done the same experiment, with the following results:

Base: 5.2
30 mins: 5.2
60 mins: 4.9
90 mins: 4.7
120 mins: 4.1

So it looks as if the cashews had no effect at all. Yum :)

Kate

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nuts (any kind, as far as I can tell) seem to have no effect on my BG, but I am a bit of an adict and I think I have far too many calorie-wise!!

Reactions: 6 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey great info guys. I love cashews. :)

Can you guys tell me if they were raw cashews that you tested or if they were the regular roasted and salted variety. I often add a good handful of cashews when I'm cooking an asian style stir fry, they definitely add some flavor. :)

Good ol' resistant starch hey. I'm sure it's the reason why a lot of meals that are high in fibrous vegetables (and yummy fats) often look somewhat high in carbs "on paper", but rarely spike my BG levels.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love cashew but have so far resisted them except in very small quantities because of their high carbohydrate value. I shall have to have another try. There's also an unloved jar of cashew butter sitting in the cupboard that my husband bought in place of almond butter, and which I rejected. I'll have to revisit it now!

The only problem with nuts is their highish calorific value due to them being nice and fatty, and I think the abundance of nuts in my diet is one of the reasons I've stopped losing weight...:( They are my main low carb flour alternative in baking.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I get almond, and cashew nuts - healthy options no salt] from Aldi, they do lots of healthy nuts there just read the labels.
If you're eating a low carb diet, salt shouldn't be a problem - you lose more through extra fluid loss, and it together with potassium (and possibly magnesium too) do need replacing.

Robbity

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Robbity I took the loss of salt too far and I consumed too much salt.
Salted butter, stock cubes, pork scratchings and salted peanuts.
I now buy lidl nuts unsalted.
I have salt which is added to products but I now don't add salt.

Everyone is different.
I took it too far. :(

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used to eat lots of salted cashews but stopped when I became T2 and read the carb content on the packet. But I was tempted in LIDL yesterday and bought a packet. So thank you @Totto, I can eat them without guilt! :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you guys tell me if they were raw cashews that you tested or if they were the regular roasted and salted variety. I often add a good handful of cashews when I'm cooking an asian style stir fry, they definitely add some flavor. :)
Roasted and salted. I mean to see if my experiment can be repeated with the same result.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat lots of salted cashews but stopped when I became T2 and read the carb content on the packet. But I was tempted in LIDL yesterday and bought a packet. So thank you @Totto, I can eat them without guilt! :)
But you still need to test. It's possible some of us have a special cashew nut metabolism.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree with @Totto everyone should test their bgs with them first.
Cashews haven't spiked me.