1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Casualty TV show got it right

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Shar67, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

Type 1, treated hypo with orange juice, taken to hospital, senior doctor asked what to treat patient with, junior doctor said insulin, senior doctor, hypo you idiot

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good. Emmerdale, on the other hand, is beyond belief in it's treatment of the diabetic character. In saying that, I wouldn't want you to think that I'm a regular viewer

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

Yes they seem to forget about it until it fits storyline, she never tests, not that I watch it either

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Binary

Binary Parent · Well-Known Member

Maybe she has been trialling an artificial pancreas and it been matching her insulin to her needs;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

We have a female member at the bowls club who thinks the same thing. She is banned from getting anywhere near the club manager if she gets a hypo.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

haha.... yeh surprising how many people think you treat a hypo with insulin. I've been asked that before when I said I just treated a hypo, they respond with so you needed to take your insulin? Ah no, sugar not insulin. Geez.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just seen it on iplayer.. (Out of curiosity.) lol, turned out not to be a hypo anyway..
    Suspected meningitis. Then turns out to be a "bodged" liposuction job causing an issue on the lungs...?

That female biking doctor was hot!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

Yes that's where it parted company with reality, a bus driver stopping for a biker.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jaylee

Staff Member

One had to suspend believe with it all, to be quite frank.. What were the chances of that lad bumping into the mother of his "sweetheart".

The biking doc took a risk with the bus. But I can't see your average driver just ploughing into the back of traffic..

@Clivethedrive ? I'm sure he can clarify the regs...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jaylee

Staff Member

........ Lol, & another thing that camper van dumped in an ambulance bay.
    Why didn't it get towed? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Because I guess the security guys were in the office drinking coffee and eating doughnuts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

That's Dylan for you, his people skills aren't the best :)

13. Jaylee

Staff Member

I actually worked for a traffic survey company (contracted by the council.) a number of years ago. Around the city of Bath.) Which included parking surveys in hospitals..
    Chatting with the parking attendants one day I was heart warmed to know they empathised with the stress of hospital visitors. (Especially near the kiddie & cancer wards.) they normally only exercised their "powers" in a serious "breach" like blocking an emergency route... ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. JohnEGreen

Grandson worked for a while for a recruitment company recruiting health prefoessional such as nurses from overseas and that was one of the questions they would ask candidates and many of them got it wrong.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. JohnEGreen

I take my wife to work at the local hospital and pick her up again in the evening the patient drop of point is always chaotic with double parking people leaving cars and vans parked and double parking the security guys are never to be seen unless there are VIPs, higher ups or TV crews about it annoys the hell out of me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jaylee

Staff Member

@JohnEGreen ,

I've seen a fair bit of "carrying on" when my T2 dad spent his time in hospital..
    My faith is such that I'd rather spend my time in a "crack den" than be admitted as an inpatient! ;)

17. callyandy

callyandy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've not been in a crack den!!:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. smwsmw

smwsmw Type 1 · Member

I find it hard to believe though, that even the crappiest new doctor would think hypo is treated with insulin! And don't get me started on the way they portray cardiac arrests - nobody would EVER survive. Plus, why is the department always so tidy and why do all the scrubs look brand new? I could go on.............!
    Not of course, that I ever watch it.......

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Scouser58

Scouser58 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The tv company just want to look good,,,and the scrubs do look new, but are from the wardrobe room, and are washed after each use,,health & safety and all that.
    When they do testing in the unit,,they never doe the blood test for the sugar levels,,this is usual procedure,,maybe they need to have a real time over haul of what they do,,,casualty is one of my favourite programs,,and wonder at times who the medical advisers really know their own jobs,,so lets call for a procedure correction session,,,and less time chatting about personal stuff,,,in real life there is not the time to chat on silly things,,,,,keep safe and well to all,,,ttfn from Karen.

20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Well, I found out my teens dad was a bit of a crack head, so not just on the whacky baccy, :rolleyes::wideyed: So I will concur with you.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook