Caught out with new lucozade

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I had a hypo this morning and drank some lucozade, as I always have done if the low needs fast acting glucose. It didn't seem to be working and I couldn't understand why. I kept dropping and had to drink more than twice my normal amount of the drink. When my BG finally rose I checked the bottle. No warnings about lower sugar and not a low-sugar variant. However checking the details on the back they have significantly reduced the sugar content. Not happy and could have been very dangerous!!!!!!

Anyone else found this?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not with Lucozade, but noticed the makers of Tango have reduced the sugar content of their soft drinks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No - and I've drunk gallons of the stuff recently (pregnancy, etc) But when I chose a variety, I did notice that many of them had less sugar than I remembered from a few years ago. Now I stick to the same flavour as I know it works for me.

But in general, I have found it harder to get a proper sugary fizzy drink that doesn't have sweeteners in. Even the squashes seem to have less sugar. In the case of Lucozade, if they've reduced the sugar then surely that defeats the purpose?

As an aside, this is something that worries me sometimes with all the talk about a sugar tax on drinks. It's bad enough that so many drinks have sweeteners along with sugar because they're cheaper, and any sugar tax could make that worse. Even if I wasn't diabetic, I like to get what I'm expecting, and I try to avoid sweeteners as much as possible.

If the Lucozade recipe has changed they should highlight it better.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
So I had a hypo this morning and drank some lucozade, as I always have done if the low needs fast acting glucose. It didn't seem to be working and I couldn't understand why. I kept dropping and had to drink more than twice my normal amount of the drink. When my BG finally rose I checked the bottle. No warnings about lower sugar and not a low-sugar variant. However checking the details on the back they have significantly reduced the sugar content. Not happy and could have been very dangerous!!!!!!

Anyone else found this?
Did you pick up the Lucozade lite, by mistake? If so there is a massive difference in carb values all the other Lucozade energy drinks are exactly the same carb value.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have glucose tablets and never Lucozade. The tablets are small, cheap and dissolve quickly.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I always have glucose tablets and never Lucozade. The tablets are small, cheap and dissolve quickly.
Fine but some people have a very sudden unexpected drop in blood sugars where liquid is the fasted and safest method to correct the problem. People on pumps are instructed to use the liquid option if dropping rapidly.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It wasn't the lite one. It's normal Lucozade energy but the blue Caribbean flavour. All bottles are 380ml and this one now only has 36 carbs in the whole bottle against the orange which has 58 carbs. Huge reduction. I always carry glucose tabs but they don't work fast enough with some hypos as CarbsRok explained.

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to stick with Coke but I agree you would expect these companies to advertise something along the lines of "now with less sugar"