1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

cauliflower mash

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by aqualung, Dec 29, 2013.

1. aqualung

aqualung Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

do you add anything to the cauliflower or not? Has anyone made this with frozen cauliflower? Does it work?

2. paul-1976

paul-1976 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Haven't tried it with frozen cauliflower but it should be fine- I simply add butter and salt and black pepper to mine.:)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

boil the cauliflower until its just starting to go soft, pour it from pan into a collinder then squeeze as much water out as possible, i use a cereal bowl in a big round collinder, then put it in the blender, some say add cream at this stage but i dont, then put it back in the pot on a lo heat, add butter and cream cheese, and grated cheese of your choice and warm through

• Like Like x 5
  4. aqualung

thank you for your replies. My husband made it the other day but just mashed it, I wasn't keen on the bits. I will suggest he blends it next time and make it smoother

5. chubbyian

chubbyian Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I grate the cauliflower before cooking, I do one or two a week and freeze it :angelic:

6. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

so do you boil it afterwards?

7. fatbird

fatbird · Well-Known Member

8. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

I use frozen cauli all the time; place in microwavable bowl, dont add water, cover and cook until stems are tender, pour off any liquid, add salt and either half a Kallo chicken stock cube or a good pinch of ground nutmeg, decent knob of butter, use stick blender to puree, stir in a handful of grated cheese.

Also try cabbage mash;
    Cut out the stalk from a white cabbage, tear or cut leaves, use about half a cabbage. Place in microwavable bowl, add about four or five tbsps of single cream, half a Kallo chicken stock cube or good pinch of ground nutmeg, cover and cook until cabbage is tender, puree with stick blender, season with salt and a huge knob of butter.

Top with crispy fried smokey bacon if liked, its divine. I was sceptical at first, couldnt imagine cabbage mash, but seriously it tastes close to mashed potatoes.

• Like Like x 5
    #8 WhitbyJet, Dec 30, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  9. luceeloo

luceeloo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

oooh Cabbage mash. I do love cabbage, and will try this for tea tonight!

10. Thommothebear

Thommothebear Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Prefer celeriac mash, is womderful stuff. Tried cauli mash and rice and hated it to be hones, just cant seem to get rid of the cauli flavour which I detest

11. chubbyian

chubbyian Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hy Andy I either boil or fry it, It is well good fried with some onions, bacon bits, mushrooms and 2 fried eggs, a bit like bubble and squeak I used to have as a kid :smug:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Riri

Riri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I never boil it beforehand for cauli 'rice' consistency but I would for cauli mash. Haven't used frozen cauli but I can see it working just as well. For cauli rice I just process in food processor and then stir fry with a little olive oil for about 6-7 mins. I try adding a lot of different spices - paprika, curry powder, cumin etc. I also have added fennel seeds, sesame seeds and caraway seeds which are all nice

13. aqualung

thank you for all your replies, lots of different new things to try! I bought some frozen cauliflower today so will give it try,

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook