1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

CBD for Diabetes

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by SallyF90, Jan 15, 2022.

1. SallyF90

SallyF90 · Newbie

Has anyone tried CBD oil for diabetes type 2? I am trying to find a natural remedy for my mum. Thanks

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

What aspect of diabetes?

I’ve tried it to help with sleep (didn’t work), but I’ve never seen any evidence that it reduces blood sugars, either directly or indirectly.

The best natural remedy for your mother would be to eat a low carbohydrate diet comprised of real foods - meat, eggs, fish, some dairy and green veg.

If she’s currently on blood glucose lowering medication she should proceed with caution to avoid the risk of hypos. Metformin alone would be fine for following the above advice.

Edited to correct typos.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #2 Goonergal, Jan 15, 2022 at 2:16 PM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

There are some bold claims with regards to BG stabilisation for diabetics.
    But positive testimonies regarding users to just treat pain..

As a T1 who has "experimented" in the past regarding the former claim on BG.
    I concluded that nothing beats old fashioned focus on my insulin dosage & diet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Member496333

Member496333 · Guest

Where local laws allow, CBD & THC most certainly have some therapeutical benefits when combined in moderation. Particularly mood, sleep and pain relief. Personally I'm not convinced that CBD in isolation does much beyond placebo. I highly doubt it will put a marked dent in diabetes of any type. Arguably it may lower stress levels resulting in lower glucose secretion from the liver, but I think it's unlikely. The 'good stuff' is also very expensive and you don't really know for sure what you're putting into your body. I'm not a fan but I'm willing to accept that it may benefit some people in other ways.

5. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I use CBD regularly. The good stuff is very expensive and you need much more then you think. (In my experience). It is legal here in Canada and very tightly controlled and regulated.
    It does nothing to lower my BG.
    I have a couple of bulging disks and I use it it help me relax at night time.
    I can’t use it during the day because it does make me very tired.
    I really don’t see how it could be used for lowing BG. Low carb/ Keto is much more effective.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Pain and stress can increase blood sugar levels so perhaps reduction in pain, by any means, might have an effect?

I don’t know if any scientific studies have been carried out but I keep an open mind.

I, though, am always wary about any supplement or medication. All can have unintended consequences but also can be life changing but as I said, I’m more evidence based

7. Bubbleblower

Bubbleblower LADA · BANNED

CBD is a hyped molecule that has little medicinal effect on its own.

If it’s legal you could better look at cannabis oil that is high in myrcene.
    That will make you sleep like a baby and helps against pain, which will indirectly lower BG.

The very best would be if you metabolically engineer cannabis yourself, which is much easier than it sounds,
    one day this will be taught in kindergarten.

8. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's highly likely any benefit is "tangential".

9. SallyF90

SallyF90 · Newbie

I would like help with sleeping with regard to CBD. Diabetes makes my blood pressure high and I find it difficult to sleep. I also have anxiety which doesn't help. I have been told by a friend that she uses high strength CBD oil that helps.

10. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums @SallyF90.
    Not sure about the relationship between high blood pressure, diabetes and sleep, but whatever the reason lots of people have trouble sleeping. (Personally I just read till I can't keep my eyes open any longer but I know plenty of people who struggle, eg my T2 dad. ) It's a hard thing to cope with and you have my sympathy but now I'm confused, are you asking for yourself or your mum? Are you both diabetic and what medications are you on?

Stress unfortunately doesn't help your blood sugar levels, your ability to sleep or your blood pressure, so I imagine that anything that reduces stress could help, but I would advise you to be careful about considering possible interactions with other drugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook