Celebratory meal ideas?

thediabeticswife

Hi Guys,

I'd like to make my husband a low-carb celebratory meal this evening, but trying to keep carbs low is still very new to us. Does anyone have any ideas?

I don't have an exact carb-amount in mind, but I do know that his BG levels spike badly with all the main starchy-carbs, and tomatoes so I'd like to avoid those. And he hates beans. Loves mushrooms, meat, and most veg though. Dairy is fine, but he can take-or-leave fish.

Also, have toddler, so limited time in the kitchen without all hell breaking loose.

I can't think of anything but steak + garlic mushrooms and salad! Help!?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Celebratory meal ides?

TBW said:
steak + garlic mushrooms and salad

Your husband is a lucky man! Best thing about steak, is that you can "posh it up" with sauces. Mushroom sauce, ranch sauce, blue cheese dressing (my god - I love that on a steak!) - all very good.

I like chicken wrapped in bacon stuffed with cheese. Goes really nice with some fine string beans (with butter drizzled over them).

But, as a bloke, I'd always say go for the steak! :wink:

thediabeticswife

Patch said:
TBW said:
steak + garlic mushrooms and salad

Your husband is a lucky man! Best thing about steak, is that you can "posh it up" with sauces. Mushroom sauce, ranch sauce, blue cheese dressing (my god - I love that on a steak!) - all very good.

I like chicken wrapped in bacon stuffed with cheese. Goes really nice with some fine string beans (with butter drizzled over them).

But, as a bloke, I'd always say go for the steak! :wink:

Good to know! I think I probably will do the steak - I have a nice bit of stilton that I can probably cobble a sauce from. I did bacon-wrapped chicken last week - with green beans from the garden, actually! Hopefully he's not sick of blue cheese today; he had a blue cheese and shrapnelised-bacon-shard salad for lunch.

thediabeticswife

WhitbyJet said:
Thediabeticswife, enjoy your special dinner :D

I made special dinner last week, roast pork with a garlic, caraway seed rub, assembled a celeriac dauphinoise, shoved both into the oven and left them to it.
Later prepared - Mange tout sprinkled with sesame seeds, small amount buttered carrots. Dessert was coconut chocolate custard pots with fresh raspberries.

It'll take us about 5 hours to drive to Whitby - can you have it done by then? :wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

thediabeticswife said:
WhitbyJet said:
Thediabeticswife, enjoy your special dinner :D

I made special dinner last week, roast pork with a garlic, caraway seed rub, assembled a celeriac dauphinoise, shoved both into the oven and left them to it.
Later prepared - Mange tout sprinkled with sesame seeds, small amount buttered carrots. Dessert was coconut chocolate custard pots with fresh raspberries.

It'll take us about 5 hours to drive to Whitby - can you have it done by then? :wink:

Good one
rolmao.gif

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

God **** - that sounds good! Care to share the coc-choc pot recipe?

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars

That Low Carb Cooking NZ site is just the most inventive and delicious place for recipes. Most of my fancy ones come from there.

thediabeticswife

I'm definitely going to be using it!

We did have steak in the end - lovely bit of sirloin with mushrooms, asparagus, and a stilton sauce that I made from low fat creme fraiche and as much stilton as I could get to melt into it.

I have now purchased some caraway seeds, and as soon as celeriac turns up in our local supermarket, it's game-on for WhitbyJ's pork dinner. (Mr DiabeticsWife's birthday is in August, as is my dad's, my grandmother's, Mr DBW's step-mother's, and a niece of ours - there will certainly be an occasion for it!)