Celeriac

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Is this a low carb root and if it is does anyone have any info about its GI rating?
Also what is the best way to cook the tough looking lump of dead-weight fibre?

fatbird

Celeriac is one of the lowcarb mega stars. Much tastier than potatoes, lowcarb and unlike other root vegetables, which store a large amount of starch, celery root is only about 5-6% starch by weight. Collins Gem calorie counter states flesh only boiled 1.9 grams of carb per 100 grams.

Celeriac may be used raw or cooked. It has a tough, furrowed, outer surface which is usually sliced off before use because it is too rough to peel. Celeriac has a celery flavour, and is often used as a flavouring in soups and stews; it can also be used on its own, usually mashed, or used in casseroles, gratins and baked dishes. It can be roasted like a potato, giving it a crispy edge.

Celeriac Dauphinoise
1 celeriac
300ml double cream
100 grams mature cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
Dried mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
Optional 2 cloves garlic

Cut the celeriac into quarters then peel. Slice the celeriac into 5 mm thick pieces. Place a layer in a baking dish and add some double cream and dried herbs, salt and pepper. Continue layering up. Place in a hot oven 200 centigrade and cook for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and add a layer of grated cheddar cheese (optional). Place back in oven and cook until cheese is golden brown. Serves 4

FB

Reactions: 5 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
fatbird said:
Celeriac is one of the lowcarb mega stars. Much tastier than potatoes, lowcarb and unlike other root vegetables, which store a large amount of starch, celery root is only about 5-6% starch by weight. Collins Gem calorie counter states flesh only boiled 1.9 grams of carb per 100 grams.

Celeriac may be used raw or cooked. It has a tough, furrowed, outer surface which is usually sliced off before use because it is too rough to peel. Celeriac has a celery flavour, and is often used as a flavouring in soups and stews; it can also be used on its own, usually mashed, or used in casseroles, gratins and baked dishes. It can be roasted like a potato, giving it a crispy edge.

Celeriac Dauphinoise
1 celeriac
300ml double cream
Optional 2 cloves garlic

Cut the celeriac into quarters then peel. Slice the celeriac into 5 mm thick pieces. Place a layer in a baking dish and add some double cream and dried herbs, salt and pepper. Continue layering up. Place in a hot oven 200 centigrade and cook for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and add a layer of grated cheddar cheese (optional). Place back in oven and cook until cheese is golden brown. Serves 4

FB

Sounds like a great winter warmer side dish to me-would be nice with some smoked Gammon joint.

Cheers

Paul

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
WOW! Thanks for that info and so quick too :thumbup:
I will definately be seeking one out to give it a try boiled and even roasted in some beef dripping (my fave) :D
Next I will try that Celeriac Dauphinoise :clap: :wave:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use celeriac mashed with swede plenty of butter and pepper can be used to make shepherds pie or fish pie It also makes an awesome soup with leeks Also sliced in layers instead of lasagne ,it absorbs the flavour of any sauce really well Enjoy :D
CAROL

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Raw, grated into coleslaw type of salad (eg with grated carrot, white cabbage, apple, walnut, mayonnaise, yoghurt, cream + + +).
easy vegetable to grow - all round winner!

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
slice up like chips, lightly coat in oil and herbs, roast for same length of time you would roast home made oven chips...

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great find Hobs! Great info fatbird! This will be an ideal spud replacement...can't wait to buy some! I've also found that turnip seems to be lowish carb too: 6g per 100g.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Celeriac makes brilliant chips.
Hana

Unbeliever

I grew my own for the first time this year. They had a milder flavour than those currently to be found in the shops, I think I prefer a slightly milder celery flavour. .

Extremely eaasy to grow . I will be growing a lot mpre next year.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got an allotment and I'll be growing some next year.

Last night I had mashed Swede and Turnip as a mashed potato substitute for bangers and mash and I didn't go high. Very pleased with that find!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love celeriac! The best roasted or boiled and mashed with butter and a bit of lemon and black pepper. It is low carb alternative to potatoes but its not very low ( its about 7g per 100g raw) so for me not very big portions

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often use celeriac in stocks but mostly eat it julienned as a salad vegetable. It's very common in northern europe. Lidl are currently selling a polish brand in jars. Some celeriac salads use it cooked but if julienned, it's usual to marinade it in any one of a number of variations of apple, wine vinegar, various oils, lemon juice, pepper corns etc etc.. This salad, with julienned carrot, some quartered cheery tomatoes, chives and /or salad onions, olives and cubes of feta cheese all on a bed of a crisp lettuce then drizzled with a little oil and balsamic vinegar, makes a very tasty salad, nice and crunchy with bursts of flavour. If olives and feta is not to oyur liking, it also works with tuna.

400_F_35279654_LVSWXUEVFTxaaPmSMgjlZwujAwzGI55U.jpg

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SamJB said:
I've got an allotment and I'll be growing some next year.

Last night I had mashed Swede and Turnip as a mashed potato substitute for bangers and mash and I didn't go high. Very pleased with that find!

At the same time you were doing that, I was making a 'Shepherds Pie', with mince layered alternately with plenty of sliced courgettes, topped off with mashed swede and celeriac. I tend to cook in quantity and stored the bulk of it, chilled or frozen, for another day.

fatbird

Swede a great lowcarb super food !

Americans know it as "rutabaga". The Scottish call it "neeps" and serve it with haggis. The swede, a fairly recent root vegetable, is thought to have originated around the 17th century in Bohemia. In 1620 a Swiss botanist described the root vegetable, believed to be a hybrid of the cabbage and the turnip. By 1664 it was growing in England. A good source of vit.C, fibre, folate and potassium. Low in calories and carbs..

Wash then peel thoroughly to remove the thick outer skin. Swede can be prepared and served in any of the methods used for potatoes. Swede can be added to soups, stews and casseroles. Use mashed swede instead of mashed potato it has a slightly sweet taste. Swede can also be made into fritters and pancakes. Collins Gem states 2.3 grams of carb per 100 grams. Who needs BG raising spuds ?

FB

Reactions: 3 people

beekeeper21

Grate it with a cheese grater. Perfect alternative to rice. Tastes better I think. You can warm it up in a pan or microwave, but I don't bother.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
paul-1976 said:
fatbird said:

Celeriac Dauphinoise
1 celeriac
300ml double cream
Optional 2 cloves garlic

FB

Sounds like a great winter warmer side dish to me-would be nice with some smoked Gammon joint.

Cheers

Paul

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Ooops, sorry. I got that completely wrong! I've never eaten celariac but fancy trying it au gratin. It's taken three supermarket visits, but have now got one of these ugly looking things, lol, so tonight's the night ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App