Cellulitis once again

Tracey69

Hi Everyone
Sorry i haven't been on but i have been feeling unwell. I have managed to get Cellulitis in the lower left leg.
It came out the blue a week ago, went to out of hours who gave a strong antibiotic, then on Friday went to have my foot looked at and they called the diabetic doctor in.
She wanted to admit me but i was determined to not stay as i was going to a good friends party saturday night, so she put me on two anti-biotics which is slowly working ( should of just gone in) as it probably would of cleared a little quicker.
Even though i was determined to not stay, please don't do as i did as i now wish i had listened. Too late now, got to go back tomorrow. It has been making me feel really rough.
take care
Tracey

Reactions: Dearbhla

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds nasty Tracey, hope it clears up soon!

Tracey69

HI everyone,
I am feeling a little ****** off at present as i have Cellulitis again after just being off antibiotics for 2 weeks to the day.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Over the last twelve months, I have had reocurring cellulitis on my face, it appears on alternate sides, and GP perscribes two anti-biotics over the phone, it then can take a week to ten days to clear, and yep it makes you feel absolutely c**p. I have only gone in to hospital once, when it went a little too close to my eye.

GP says it will carry on reocurring while my BS is out of control, but they are now coming to the conclusion I am LADA after a number of tests, so will soon be starting on insulin.

Tracey69

HI
I was one anti biotic and then got changed to two different types of antibiotics for a fortnight. This time they have give me the same two antibiotics but only for a week. My ankle bone and leg are so sore especiaaly in shin bone and ankle bone.
The feeling of hot and red shiny leg make me feel like i have sat in the sun to long LOL. Just well this time it hasn't gone from toe to hip as it did 5yrs ago, i had to have introvinus antibiotics for 6 weeks.
Sorry to hear you get it on your face, at least i can cover mine with trousers.
Hope your ok.
Take care
Tracey

Tracey69

HI Lauren.
There are reall yno signs until you get a red swollen leg, it is a bacteria infection. My started by having just a sore leg in the morning but no redness or swelling, went out to see a friend, came back and did my ironing and then in the evening took my trousers off and i had a fat, red swollen half a leg. That was about three weeks ago and then this time it started by having a pain in my ankle, the next night i had the same infection again. The skin becomes so red and tight and can often leave blisters if you leave it too long. If you don't seek medical advice you can get sceptacemia (sorry if the spelling was wrong) blood poisoning. It can make the skin sore when you stand up or try to work.
Take care
Tracey

Tracey69

HI Shop
Thanks for your message they have just put me on stronger doses of two anti biotics to see if they can fight the infection off all together.
Hope your well..
Thanks and take care
Tracey

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Did they recommend ice packs, Tracey? I've had it twice now in my left leg, starting 12 years ago so well before diabetes. I can't remember what they gave me for it, apart from Fucibet cream, which I still use a couple of times a week.

I find a packet of frozen peas works well for the heat and swelling. Wrap them in a plastic bag and then in a tea-towel or similar, and mould the packet against the hot bit of the leg. Don't give yourself frost bite :shock: . I think I still have a pack of peas in the freezer - just in case!

The result of the cellulitis is that my left leg now has very thin and delicate skin, which has to be kept moisturised, and which I am very careful of. My father got leg ulcers, and I don't want those :thumbdown: It is also a bit 'grapefruity' around the bottom of the shin, and a purply-brown colour up the front. To go with the gingery patchy freckles I have on both shins. No wonder I never wear a skirt!

One GP says it's lipodermatasclerosis (literally, thickening of the fat under the skin); another says it isn't. If you look up that condition you'll frighten yourself, but it's pretty rare, and if you keep your circulation going you should be okay.

Viv 8)

Reactions: Dearbhla