Cellulitis

Billya1003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after an operation to remove a tumour.
Been on low carb low fat high fibre diet since
Awoke on New Years Day to discover my arm reddish brown and swollen but didn't think much of it went to doctor first day it opened was told it was cellulitis and blood sugars high 22.4 put antibiotics and on metformin but blood sugars still high how long before metformin makes a difference to blood sugars and when will cellulitis go away

Reactions: 2 people

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Be patient..... cellulitis can take weeks (even months) to clear up, and may require several hits with powerful antibiotics to conquer it. To give you some idea: when I had it some time ago the doctor used to draw a line around the boundary of the inflamed areas with a felt tip pen, just so we could tell whether it was spreading or receding each time I visited the surgery. On the other hand, you may be lucky and get on top of it much more quickly.
As far as bs is concerned, if you are newly diagnosed I'm sure the Dr is monitoring the situation and will adjust medication appropriately until your bs falls to an acceptable level. Just remember that with Diabetes we're in for the long haul, and once you've got your levels down you'll need to stay vigilant to keep them down.

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also not sure if that was a typo but if you think that LCHF means Low Carb High Fibre diet then you may have the wrong idea...read a few of the low carb threads on this forum and you will find your eyes opened to what a lot of type 2's are finding works for them in terms of reducing blood sugar levels.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
From what I understand, Metformin does not have a great effect on blood glucose. The antibiotics will take a few days to do anything, but they will probably not work.
You will most likely have to have a second course of more effective antibiotics.
Doctors always try the standard antibiotics first. I usually get Amoxicillin for everything, but it never works. Then they give me one that is specific to my problem.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin may help suppress appetite but this isn't necessarily a given; it may reduce your glucose levels a little, but it isn't a miracle worker. The correct diet will do a lot more to reduce your glucose levels - so at a minimum cut right down on all sugary and starchy foods, but you still may not achieve the best results while your body has also got cellulitis to contend with.

Robbity

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've had leg cellulitis before and it's very painful. Lots of antibiotics and painkillers for 3 months cleared it up eventually. My blood sugars were high during the infection and started to go down after a week one of antibiotic treatment. Be patient. :)