Central London Diabetes & Hearing Loss Event,10 - 16 June

cubex

Diabetics urged to have their hearing tested!
Diabetes Awareness Week, 10 - 16 June 2012, Cubex, Independent Hearing healthcare professionals since 1964, Central London

Diabetes is known to damage small blood vessels found in organs such as the heart, kidneys and eyes. It is also a medical cause of hearing loss.

‘Hearing loss is not usually recognised as a complication of diabetes,’ says Mr Adam Shulberg, Senior Audiologist and MD at Cubex. ‘However, we regularly work with patients who notice deterioration in hearing sensitivity after being diagnosed with diabetes. Just like the eyes, the organ of hearing is dependent on small blood vessels and nerves to function effectively.

Managing diabetes effectively can help prevent diabetes related hearing loss. If someone is already experiencing hearing loss, controlling blood sugar may prevent it from getting worse. ‘In addition to monitoring blood sugar we urge people to have their hearing tested regularly. ‘An unaddressed hearing loss can impact significantly on a person’s quality of life and cognitive function adding to the challenge of coping with everyday life as a person with diabetes. The onset of hearing loss can be very gradual. In many cases, patients with mild to moderate hearing loss may not be aware of the hearing loss. If you suspect you or a loved one has hearing loss, speak to a qualified Audiologist.’

This year, Diabetes Week takes place from 10–16 June 2012. Throughout the week, Cubex, will offer free hearing checks and advice on coping with hearing loss and will be raising funds for Diabetes UK.

For more information, please email [email protected]

anghilton

Re: Central London Diabetes & Hearing Loss Event,10 - 16 Jun

One of the major problems that most people face when their age drags them forward is hearing loss. With the advances that have been made in recent years, we have learned that hearing can be returned somewhat.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Re: Central London Diabetes & Hearing Loss Event,10 - 16 Jun

My wife complains of MY supposed hearing loss, usually when I am concentrating on something else. I don't start listening until AFTER she starts talking, so usually miss what she is talking about !

I have some difficulty hearing when in the car & there is road noise, or when she talks out of the window.

I have NO difficulty listening to classical & early music, nor playing by ear.