Cereals

A

Anonymous

Re: Does anyone tolerate cereal?

ShyGirl said:
I will use All bran tomorrow but i'm expecting bad results :roll:

how about low carb porridge ?

snowy_barks

I would forget All Bran, it has loads of sugar in it.

[urlhttp://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/allbran/cereal/all_bran_.aspx][/url]

I think your best bet would be rough porridge oats, the less refined the better.

Defren

Did Grazer not mention Shredded Wheat was low(ish) carb? I think he did. Check the carb content and see if it is lower?

A

Anonymous

if you really must eat cereal then the best for carbs are;

All Bran - 7.6g per 40g - 19%
Branflakes (Kelloggs) - 15.6g per 30g - 52%
Shredded Wheat - 16.4g per 30g - 54%

did I mention Almond Porridge.. about 5.5g per 40g plus the milk

All the above are without milk (11.3g per 250ml) and are not for a whole bowlful - measure it out properly as it's easy to go over.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I use All Bran and it never causes a huge spike. I always see a rise after all foods but this cereal keeps it to within the normal levels expected 2 hrs after eating so I'm happy with this.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat Lizi's Granola for breakfast. I have 30g, a splash of milk, half a total yoghurt, some raspberries and a couple of spoons of seeds. My BG 2 hours later is the same as before breakfast.

Ann

Defren

ShyGirl said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not a fan of shredded wheat (we've some in the house but it tastes of cardboard) or porridge! Maybe when it's colder I could try porridge again but I was looking for something cold but fibrey really.

I might see if I can find some type of low carb but full of fibre smoothie instead.

I could never stand Shredded Wheat either, the only cereal I ever ate was Alpen for supper. I sometimes hanker back to having it and a banana which I had every day, thankfully it soon passes and I think of all the yummy food I have now instead. I used to eat Alpen thinking it was healthy - your do learn something new each day.

Fraddycat

I tried re-introducing porridge yesterday after 4 weeks of very low carb, I spiked to 9.9 one hour after, which came back to 7.7 after two hours. I am thinking porridge is off the breakfast menu. Even full fat yoghurt took me up to 8.0 after an hour, I think I must be ultra sensitive to carbs in the morning. Tomorrow I am going to try skinny protein shake made with coconut milk and maybe some raspberries, I'll let you know how it goes!

Juliette40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
Riri said:
I use All Bran and it never causes a huge spike. I always see a rise after all foods but this cereal keeps it to within the normal levels expected 2 hrs after eating so I'm happy with this.

Hey there!

I'm an All Bran (asda version) fan too. Just switched to unsweatened soya milk from skimmed cow's milk. Tastes creamy and only 0.2g carbs per 100ml. Oh, and it works fine in porridge too.

Juliette x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ShyGirl said:
I was really disappointed although not surprised when trying weetabix this morning.
I'm not a fan of them but thought i'd buy three boxes of cereal to test as i'm tired of how cutting carbs+meds+IBS is making me feel.
After 1 hour- I had to use Almond milk as my usual soya wasn't available- I was a shocking 8.8.

What were your levels after 2 hours Shy? I wouldnt worry at all about 1 hour spikes as even non diabetics will have highs at 1 hour, its how your levels are returning after 2 hours that is more important.

If your still too high after 2 hours then try reducing the amount, one biscuit instead of two perhaps, you didnt post how many weetabix you ate so if it was only one then thats obviously not an option.

I wouldnt want to eat the sort of low carb diets I read that many eat here, as I enjoy food, all food, carbs included, I eat low carb just by exercising portion control so I actually eat a 'normal' diet, and I use the word 'normal' as in what I have always eaten, just fewer carbs, so 2 or 3 new potatoes instead of 7 or 8, two tbls of basmati rice instead of a plateful, works well for me :thumbup:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Shygirl!

I have 20g LIZI's granola on full fat yoghurt and raspberries. I am insulin dependant so. I jab to cover it and get back to good figures at two hours usually. However, my 1 hour spikes are a shocker! 12+. If I can't sort that out, I'll have to cut out the cereal. To be honest, I'd accept 8 at 1 hour to keep the cereal in my diet. I think cereal is just tricky for diabetics of all types. Could you try cutting the portion and eating it with yoghurt and berries to fill you up? At least that way you would have a small amount of cereal.

Smidge

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I don't do grains. Any grains. None of them can keep me under my chosen target top end after one, two or three hours and that is not OK for me.
When I wanted to add another option to a breakfast menu I recently played around with a type of almond meal porridge. It varies everytime I make it depending on what is in my pantry or freezer at the time. My mix is made from the following:
One measure each of flaxseed meal, almond meal or very roughly chopped almonds done in my blender, shredded coconut, psyllim husks, chopped walnuts with about half a measure of Goji Berries. I mix them all together and store in an air tight box in the fridge. In summer I have about 3 heaped Tbsp in a bowl with cold full cream milk or simply pouring cream stirred in with perhaps some cinnamon sprinkled over. In winter I added hot milk and stirred in a pat of butter.
Alison

Grazer

Hi Shygirl. I have bite size shredded wheat. Less cardboardy than the big ones somehow. I sprinkle a bit of all bran or crunchy bran on top which helps with the flavour.
Shredded wheat are not much different from any other cereal in number of carbs really, but the "of which sugars" figure is the lowest of them all at nearly zero, which, rightly or wrongly, I consider to be good. All bran has higher "of which sugar" but is much lower in carbs. So I figure a bit of the two together is ok! I get really good figures after 2 hours, but I'm good with carbs in the morning so you'll have to try then test.

Defren

clearviews said:
I don't do grains. Any grains. None of them can keep me under my chosen target top end after one, two or three hours and that is not OK for me.
When I wanted to add another option to a breakfast menu I recently played around with a type of almond meal porridge. It varies everytime I make it depending on what is in my pantry or freezer at the time. My mix is made from the following:
One measure each of flaxseed meal, almond meal or very roughly chopped almonds done in my blender, shredded coconut, psyllim husks, chopped walnuts with about half a measure of Goji Berries. I mix them all together and store in an air tight box in the fridge. In summer I have about 3 heaped Tbsp in a bowl with cold full cream milk or simply pouring cream stirred in with perhaps some cinnamon sprinkled over. In winter I added hot milk and stirred in a pat of butter.
Alison

I too don't eat wheat or grains, I also don't have milk, but could add Greek yogurt or cream and I like the sound of this. Linwoods do a flax with Goji berry already in, as well as other variations. I have learned cinnamon helps with my BG and I have 10g of chia seed as well. I could easily mix all this and have it as a winter alternative when my usual berries are not in season. - Thank you!

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,

I am like Sid, I eat a fairly normal diet but smaller portions. I can tolerate 1 and a half weetabix that doesn't spike my blood sugars at all. i have skimmed or semi skimmed ,milk with it.

Bernie
x