CGM and NHS funding

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
My signature below says I have CGM "in a good month", which translates as whenever my consultant feels brave enough to add to the Trust's not inconsiderable overdraft, and at £375 for a box of 10 sensors that's not as often as I'd like. We recently applied to the NHS Exceptional Funding panel in an attempt to secure a more permanent arrangement, sadly without success. :(

I have almost zero recognition of hypos, the flipside of that being that I can also get into the high teens without really being aware. Whenever I have CGM, the sensors make HUGE difference to my quality of life. The recent EF application included all this information, to no effect. :(

I was wondering whether I am missing an obvious trick to get these little technological marvels funded, and generally what experiences others were prepared to share in this regard? TIA :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
In my area, the only thing that they would worry about is cost. You'd get nothing. Diabetes UK sometimes can help. Their dietary advice isn't much good, but other things they may well be able to help with.

kegstore

Dislikes
Many thanks Hana, I'm willing to explore all avenues while battling on with the appeal process. :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I'd love to have CGM, but unfortunatly it's not funded by the NHS... you generally only get it when you have an issue that needs to be sorted, temporarily to find what the issue is so that you can fix it.

Good luck in your quest for CGM though... let us know how you get on!

docvern

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi,
I live in Northern Ireland and would do anything to get an insulin pump... I know of only 2 people with an insulin pump.One is a diabetic doctor the other is a dietician who runs DAFNE courses......is there something strange here or i am being too suspicious....comments welcome :( :( :( :( :( :(

kegstore

Dislikes
I think NI has different guidelines from England, along with Wales and Scotland, not sure they're guided by NICE, although "guided" is probably an overstatement since PCTs seem to make up their own minds about treatment strategies.

Back to the OP, I am keeping my fingers (and everything else) crossed today, as the Exceptional Funding panel meet to consider my appeal to their original decision which was a "no" to CGM. Good vibes and positive thoughts everyone!

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely know when i'm hypo these days, really think i should be allowed one!