1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

CGM and NHS funding

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by kegstore, Apr 29, 2009.

1. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

My signature below says I have CGM "in a good month", which translates as whenever my consultant feels brave enough to add to the Trust's not inconsiderable overdraft, and at £375 for a box of 10 sensors that's not as often as I'd like. We recently applied to the NHS Exceptional Funding panel in an attempt to secure a more permanent arrangement, sadly without success. :(

I have almost zero recognition of hypos, the flipside of that being that I can also get into the high teens without really being aware. Whenever I have CGM, the sensors make HUGE difference to my quality of life. The recent EF application included all this information, to no effect. :(

I was wondering whether I am missing an obvious trick to get these little technological marvels funded, and generally what experiences others were prepared to share in this regard? TIA :?

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

In my area, the only thing that they would worry about is cost. You'd get nothing. Diabetes UK sometimes can help. Their dietary advice isn't much good, but other things they may well be able to help with.

3. kegstore

Many thanks Hana, I'm willing to explore all avenues while battling on with the appeal process. :D

4. Stuboy

Stuboy · Well-Known Member

I'd love to have CGM, but unfortunatly it's not funded by the NHS... you generally only get it when you have an issue that needs to be sorted, temporarily to find what the issue is so that you can fix it.

Good luck in your quest for CGM though... let us know how you get on!

5. docvern

docvern · Member

Hi,
    I live in Northern Ireland and would do anything to get an insulin pump... I know of only 2 people with an insulin pump.One is a diabetic doctor the other is a dietician who runs DAFNE courses......is there something strange here or i am being too suspicious....comments welcome :( :( :( :( :( :(

6. kegstore

I think NI has different guidelines from England, along with Wales and Scotland, not sure they're guided by NICE, although "guided" is probably an overstatement since PCTs seem to make up their own minds about treatment strategies.

Back to the OP, I am keeping my fingers (and everything else) crossed today, as the Exceptional Funding panel meet to consider my appeal to their original decision which was a "no" to CGM. Good vibes and positive thoughts everyone!

7. candi-girl

candi-girl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I rarely know when i'm hypo these days, really think i should be allowed one!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook