1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

cgm libre unwanted truths in blood sugar management

Discussion in 'Eating disorders and diabetes' started by ert, May 27, 2019.

1. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Three days in with a cgm and I've discovered:
    Running for 50 minutes elevates my blood sugars for 8 hours. I've been doing this daily for two years without any knowledge of the consequences.
    Eating breakfast spikes my blood sugars for 6-8 hours. I think my insulin is lower than low overnight so having only cream with coffee elevates what little insulin I have so that lunch (which is my breakfast) doesn't spike my blood sugars.
    Heavy weights drop my blood sugars like a stone.

Who would have thought? It shows the danger of making decisions without enough data. Maybe my next 3 month HbA1c will be finally under 5.7%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #1 ert, May 27, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @ert The Libre is great for spotting patterns, but particularly in the first few days check against your meter, interested in your comment about running elevating your levels for 8 hours, prior to the Libre were you checking your levels after running with a meter ? As you should of spotted elevated levels with your meter, and are you acting on the information your Libre is telling you, so with your breakfast are you changing your insulin ratio to counter the effect or correcting afterwards ?

Also take overnight readings with some caution as compression on the Libre can cause false readings, so again best checked against your meter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook