CGM Reimbursement

cnelligan

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I am doing research into the CGM market in the UK and my initial research is that CGM's are temporarily reimbursed by the NHS and that the long term reimbursement is not yet approved. If any CGM users out there could give me feedback I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks!!

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
My local trust pays for my sensors

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My local trust pays for my sensors
However, you are Hypo-unaware and have not been able to regain awareness. Thus you fall under the NICE guidance for someone who should receive CGM.

Most don't get the opportunity to try CGM!

cnelligan

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Pump
However, you are Hypo-unaware and have not been able to regain awareness. Thus you fall under the NICE guidance for someone who should receive CGM.

Is there a reason why most don't get to try to use CGM? Is it lack of reimbursement from NICE?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For my locality I have only ever known them to available for a short term period in order to pin down basal or to uncover some other mystery with regards certain carbs........

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I am doing research into the CGM market in the UK and my initial research is that CGM's are temporarily reimbursed by the NHS and that the long term reimbursement is not yet approved. If any CGM users out there could give me feedback I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks!!

What do you mean by "temporarily reimbursed" @cnelligan ?

cnelligan

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Pump
Trial runs reimbursed by Medtronic.
Also interesting note I found.

"John Pickup of Guy's Hospital in London and colleagues analyzed the responses of 50 1 adult type diabetes and 50 diabetic children parents to an online questionnaire including some free story about their experience of the continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) or their opinion on the matter. In 87% of cases, the device was coupled to an insulin pump. In 71% of cases it was used at least three quarters of the time. In 66% of cases, it was funded by the National Health Service (NHS) and self-funded otherwise.”"

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi again @cnelligan

Why did you delete your reply to my question? Is that incorrect about Medtronic?

I don't understand what "reimbursement" you're talking about.

cnelligan

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Pump
That was France not the UK. I apologize for that. Most of my research in the UK shows case by case applications for reimbursement.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, ok - thanks.

I wasn't aware of the NHS "reimbursing" anyone. Do you mean refunding the purchase price?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never heard of that happening. I understand that you either qualify or you don't.

I don't have a CGM at the moment but I do have a pump. I didn't get my pump on the first attempt but I appealed and then did get it. I don't think I'd have run the risk of paying for it and then hoping I'd get the price refunded.

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe I missed a post somewhere, but after reading through this post, just wondering what the NICE guidelines are for the CGM? Is there a link available to get this info?

cnelligan

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Pump

When did your local trust start paying for it?Do you know how much your local trust pays for the sensors? I have heard they are no longer paying for any CGMS now.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When did your local trust start paying for it?Do you know how much your local trust pays for the sensors? I have heard they are no longer paying for any CGMS now.
You'll have to fight for it but the new 2015 NiCE guidelines explicitly call out lack of hypo awareness so you have a good case.

cnelligan

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Pump
You'll have to fight for it but the new 2015 NiCE guidelines explicitly call out lack of hypo awareness so you have a good case.

Do you know how much the trust pays for the sensors? Also were they ever covered before? My research suggests that it was recently decided they would not cover them unless hyper unaware. I could be off though for sure