1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

CGM.

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by onthegow, Jul 12, 2015.

1. onthegow

onthegow · Well-Known Member

Where can I buy CGM from.
    Also does anyone use CGM with Omnipod the website say the PDM is capable. I have searched the net but drawn a blank. I have been accepted for a pump but thought I would try a CGM too.
    Any ideas.

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There are 3 stand alone CGM's on sale in the UK Medtronic,Dexcom and the Navigator. If you are having a pump and want a CGM why on earth don't you choose a pump with CGM compatibility, this would work out a lot cheaper for you. Animas and Medtronic are CGM compatible.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jackvdbuk

jackvdbuk Type 1 · Well-Known Member

how much would i be looking at to purchase a CGM device?

edit: found the price.. very expensive lol

Initial cost - for the hardware such as the receiver and transmitter - varies from around £1,000 to £2,500.

If you have a newer Medtronic pump you may find CGMS is already integrated or may be available if you pay a supplement (around £200).

Running costs
    The main ongoing cost is the disposable sensors, costing around £40 - £60 per sensor, with each sensor lasting a recommended 5 - 7 days. Many users find they can wear their sensors for longer than the recommended number of days.

In some cases you also need adhesive covers to keep the sensors in place or protect them from water.

You may also need to buy semi-disposable components such as transmitters every 18 months or so.

4. Zebediah

Zebediah Type 1 · Member

I use the Freestyle Libre CGM https://abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/our-products/freestyle-libre
    I have used it since december. its not on the NHS and costs £50 every 2 weeks. It marvelous. My treatment has been transformed. It made me realise I can't eat large amounts of carbs and properly control my sugars.
    Its not perfect, some people have had skin reactions, and some have had trouble with accuracy. Also you have to sign up and wait to be invited to buy one! My mother has been waiting 2 months so far.

long thread here that is very userful on this site http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/page-168

good luck and i predict that if you are not already low carbing you will be within 2 weeks of wearing your cgm.

• Like Like x 2
  5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

6. onthegow

Thank you all very much.
    With regards to picking the pump the omni pod controller is CGM ready or donut says on the info I got.
    Once again thank you all.

7. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would double check this as only info I could find applies to the USA only. If it applies to the UK can we have links to the info please? :)
    This is what I found https://www.myomnipod.com/about-omnipod/omnipod-CGM/ which isn't saying it's got a built in receiver so you need a stand alone system like dexcom or Medtronic if you want CGM.

8. onthegow

Hummmm maybe I was looking at USA one. Typical not reading correctly. Anyway I have gone with Omnipod pump should have it soon. Can't wait

9. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You were probably seeing the recent announcement that the next generation of PDM will be compatible with the Dexcom share functionality. That isn't due out till late 2015/2016.

10. onthegow

Ah well at least I get the pump. Thank you all for your input.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook