EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I use a dexcom, and have never managed to make it work while I'm in the pool. I'm assuming that this is because there isn't any bluetooth transmission underwater, but wonder if folk have had better success with other cgms or whether there is a work round with dexcom? Maybe if you wear a watch that bypasses the phone??? (I believe apple are planning this.)

Does anyone have a cgm that would give them alarms while swimming? Libre?

Reactions: Lindap118

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I swim twice a week in the swimming pool (well unless there's a lockdown like now) and in the pool I can easily manage by having my reader/phone in a waterproof bag on the edge of the pool, accompanied by an apple to nudge up dropping BG's before hypo.
I just go to the edge and scan my Libre every once in a while, and munch on my apple if needed without missing a beat.

This obviously only works in a relatively quiet swimming pool where they don't mind your odd behaviour, and doesn't help with freely enjoying the waters outside without thinking, which is what I really want to do!
There must be an old thread by me on this exact same issue, worth a search!

You'll want to ask @Marie 2 , she does some pretty wild swimming with her Libre!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just go to the edge and scan my Libre every once in a while, and munch on my apple if needed without missing a beat.

That is one advantage of libre over dexcom, with a dexcom you have to wait for up to 5 minutes for the transmitter to do its thing. I used to think it was the locker @Lakeslover but recently I've been swimming in a home pool and had the phone pretty close to the pool so I think it's a bluetooth and water issue.

(edited for typo)

Last edited: