Change 1 small thing

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
On Day break Ive noticed they are doing a change 1 thing a day, for small changes to make a difference to peoples health.

Well today I found my pedometer and my small change for today is to see how many steps I do, then over the next few weeks to increase that amount. I have thought about going for a walk around my estate, but as a single woman I'm not sure if thats very safe as it would be at night. So, at work there is a long driveway, so Im going to try and go for a walk at lunchtimes. Again this is thwarted this week as the boss is out and I can't leave the phones unmanned!!! But next week Im walking the drive at least twice. if not more!

I think I will also come up with a rule for the weekend where I have to use the wii fit or dancing game for a set amount of time.

I just need to improve my overall fitness and hopefully it will help my low carb diet in losing weight.

Last summer me and some friends went away together and we walked all over the place, BUT I had to keep asking them to slow down :arghh: Maybe this year I can surprise them! :lock:

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to love my pedometer! I'm going to find mine and use it again! I used to average about 8000 steps a day, but that was before I got my dog so I'm sure it would be more now!!!

I've made a small change recently. Over 2013 I started drinking a lot more fizzy juice (diet!) than is strictly necessary. So my New Years resolution is to restrict them to the weekends only. I have never had a filling and I'm hoping that juice reduction will make sure it stays that way!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well done Lenny ! Nice idea, some people don't realise that some very small changes in habit/lifestyle can make dramatic improvements to health and peace of mind. Nothing so gallant for me, I'm just trying to reduce my beer intake at the minute ! I feel guilty now !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All positive steps Lenny (pardon the pun). If you have stairs in your house try walking up and down them 20-30 times in a row (or as many times as you can manage) as this gets the blood pumping and is as good as any workout, best of all like walking its free :)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
All positive steps Lenny (pardon the pun). If you have stairs in your house try walking up and down them 20-30 times in a row (or as many times as you can manage) as this gets the blood pumping and is as good as any workout, best of all like walking its free :)

Yeah, I did think about the stairs thing. I did do that prob a couple of years ago. May just start again as my knees are much better than they were then.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought it was a small thing, but I guess it's not really! I changed my usual muesli breakfast to low carb by drastically reducing to amount of muesli to a very small spoonful and adding cottage cheese and natural yoghurt. I feel better because of this, and a side effect is to actually want to reduce carbs generally.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Small changes sounds like a great idea :) well done for deciding to do the walking, i think the decision to do something is the hardest part, forward and onward :)

now I'm going to spend the day deciding what small change to make :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps you could walk up and down stairs while you are thinking Andy:smug:
CAROL

Reactions: 9 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well my Pedometer is knackered! Apparently yesterday i took about 2000 steps...........I was sitting at my desk most of the day. So I have been on the net and looked at reviews and have splashed out £18 on a new one. I was thinking I'd get a £2-3 one but the reviews all said the same......unreliable counts, so I bit the bullet and bought a more expensive one, now I must walk lots to justify the expense!!! :cool:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'd be surprised how easy it is to take 2000 steps actually! Fingers crossed this fancy pants new one will give you a really accurate result though!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well it said that whilst I was in the kitchen making drinks I'd managed about 100 steps....... I think i'd done maybe 10, 20 at most! Fingers crossed.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
were you hopping up and down while making the drinks?
CAROL

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well my new (expensive) pedometer arrived monday morning(at work), so I put it straight on. I went for a walk at lunchtime and managed about 3000 steps that day, yesterday I was pretty pathetic and only managed about 1200. Today I went for a lunchtime walk so expecting 2-3000 again. Will try to increase my steps at the weekend. Maybe in the office I'll have to do more coffee runs (water for me).

The lunchtime walk only takes me about 15mins, so I figured give it a couple of weeks and I'll walk the track and back twice. Then eventually I'll walk towards the village, going a bit further each week. Must avoid the bakers in the village though when I do get that far!!!!!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice work! Your stamina will build up pretty quick

Inspired by you I looked for my pedometer and couldn't find it, so I've bought a new (expensive) one too. It should have arrived today but most likely won't for in the post box so I won't get it until the weekend

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i was the same walking around the streets didnt appeal to me at all after every local weirdo seems to walk with you lol so i bought second hand tredmill for 60 pounds noisy as hell but walk hour a day on it while the soaps are on dont notice the time flying by, working for me as in 15 ibs lighter since end of nove xx good luck and well done in making the change

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I would love a treadmill, but my flat is tiny I would have to get rid of a sofa to fit it in!!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep the sofa and run outside ! It's FREE !

Absolutely mo! Although the catch is I can't walk/jog in the evenings now because it's dark and there have been too many "incidents" in the centre of town for it to be safe for me :(

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com