change in eyes, from blurry toclear vision

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
I noticed my eyes were getting blurry , thought it was my medication I am already on /stress ., but when I couldnt read number plates,the text on sky tv etc.

I go to the opticians and get tested - photograph of eye and all tests are fine apart from reading test chart and I am told I am near sighted. Buy some glasses and its amazing I can read number plates again,watch tv, see peoples faces past 6 ft in distance- fantastic.

Fast forward 4 weeks

Just newly diagnosed diabetic this week and watching my blood levels with a meter and diet .

Yesterday I didnt need my glasses , can see tv, went outside and walked the street reading number plates, see the kitchen clock and time from the dining room. I can not get over the difference. 8) Getting on the teenagers nerves by reading the small texts on tv !!! :lol:

I ring the optician yesterday, who went through all my notes and rechecked my photograph and rings me back :D reassures me that the photograph is clear , no signs of any damage by diabetes and if I did a copy of my photgraphs he will sort it out for me.c :D

Have any of you noticed a difference in your eyesight ( I dont want to get too excited )

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi iggy-lil, its very common to experience a change in eye sight after getting blood glucose (bg) under control, high bg causes pressure on the back of the eye which can distort the lens causing visual problems, once the bg is lowered again the pressure is returned to normal and so does the lens correcting the visual problems to a greater or lessor degree.

It is usually recommended that you dont have an eye test for glasses for at least 6 weeks after diagnosis to allow and changes to settle down :D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that inof Sid, I was told by my doctor to get my eyes tested, and the optician asked me if my Diabetes was stable yet. I didnt know, so I will give a few more weeks before making an appointment.

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
I had gone to the optician as I didnt think/have a reason to suspect diabetes, thought at the time I was doing the right thing . Wasnt pleased about having to have glasses but we just chose and paid for them.
Its a lesson learnt I suppose(expensive lesson) but at the moment I am just pleased Im not wearing them :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
No problemo Lucy :D

@iggilil you had no way of knowing that you were diabetic when you had your eyes checked and bought glasses so its not your fault, its just very bad luck I'm afraid.

Try to keep your bg levels under good control and hopefully you will continue to have good eye sight :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great news iggy :thumbup:

rak2

Oh pretty much the same happened to me. I had an eye test and got new glasses then two weeks later I was diagnosed with type 2.
When I went for my test there was just a slight change to what I already had, I really went to the opticians as my old glasses were broken, not really because my sight had got worse!
Two weeks later my far vision became blurred and I couldn't see the captions on the tv etc and at that point I was diagnosed. Since then I first of all had a week of blurred far vision but could see really well near to. Where I had before needed glasses for reading, I found I didn't. Now it has reversed and I can see clearly far away and it's blurred for reading even with my new glasses.

I'm obviously trying to get my blood sugar under control, it was nearly 30 when I was diagnosed and now I take a reading every morning and it's between 13 to 9. Trying to get a handle on it and hoping my eyes will settle down as I love to read. My eyes get sore too.

Unbeliever

If yo reduce your levels then your eyes will definitely improve. This is nothing to do with retinopathy. Its purely high sugar levels . It should settle soon.

I have retinopahy and macular oedema but blurriness is not a sympom. I sill get blurred eyes though if my levels reach 6!

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
little update

I popped into the opticians to see what their 3 month guarantee covered and if by any chance it covered such a quick change in eyesight - I had to ask. I explained I was just diagnosed and after the lady on the front desk went to speak to the director, they told me to bring the glasses back for a full refund :shock: :thumbup: :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
iggy-lil said:
little update

I popped into the opticians to see what their 3 month guarantee covered and if by any chance it covered such a quick change in eyesight - I had to ask. I explained I was just diagnosed and after the lady on the front desk went to speak to the director, they told me to bring the glasses back for a full refund :shock: :thumbup: :D

That's good news :thumbup:

Unbeliever

noblehead said:
iggy-lil said:
little update

That's good news :thumbup:

Yes it is good news, its wonderful to know that there are sill reasonable people around . I have heard stories where a refund has been refused. Good for you{and he optician} :)

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
I know I was very lucky. I wasnt going to ask and we were just going to write it off but my GP suggested that it might be worth going in to see. It was a big national chain :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
iggy-lil said:
It was a big national chain :)

I can guess who it is, if it's Specsavers then they really do provide a first-class service every-time.....and cheap too! :)

palas

I have varifocals and prior to the diagnosis my distance sight went blurry and I could only read with my varifocals rather than my customary reading glasses. Last Friday 20th after a steady BG decline following diagnosis on the 11th i suddenly realised I could see properly again, and use my reading glasses at work.

Now since Sundat 20th it's been swinging the other way. I can currently not wear my varifocals because it's too blurry, BUT my reading glasses are currently excellent distance glasses and I've been wearing those. However, I now can't read even the text on my mobile phone for example and am having to use a magnifying glass.

Admitedly it's literally only a couple of weeks since my diagnosis, but I haven't had a reading above 9.1 since 20th and most of my readings have been in the 6-8 range so I guess I'm doing well.

I suspect that my eyes are reacting to the quick drop in BG levels over the last couple of weeks, but would be real interested to hear from a glasses wearer who had similar trouble, and how long it took to resolve itself. I thought that once I was back in the normal range my eyes would immediately snap back to their normal selves, but clearly that's not the case.

I did have an eyetest 3 months ago, pre diagnosis, and there was nothing wrong at that time.

Carolynn

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I went for an eye test a month or so ago and had to get reading glasses for the first time.
Work paid for the test and gave me a voucher for enough for a second pair.
I'll be narked if I paid for a pair for nothing, but very pleased if my eyes return to normal after my BG goes down! 8)

palas

Good luck with that Steve. :D

I've gone from blurry to clear to blurry and I've still got my reading glasses on today. Can see fabulously well with them, except for reading. Getting used to holding a magnifying glass at work now. I'm a week in front of you aren't I. My bg levels have been good now for about a week, so I'm really hoping that the eyes shift again soon.

Have another appointment with the practice nurse on Monday night, so will ask then.

Carolynn