Change in levemir dose and carb to insulin ratio

CLP

Hi All

A couple of days ago I upped my basal insulin by 1 unit (from 7 units to 8 units once a day), I did this as I've been running higher than normal for a few weeks now and was having to adjust too much for my liking.

On doing this I've had to reduce the amount of novorapid I take to cover the carb content of my meals. Before the change I had to take 1 unit of insulin for about 3.5g carb (at breakfast) and 1 unit for 5g carb at lunchtime. This morning it was closer to 1 unit to 5g carb and it was an identical breakfast.

I had thought that your carb to insulin ratio would stay the same and was not dependent on your basal insulin, if it is that means each time I change my levemir I'll have to adjust my novorapid as well.

Can someone cast any light on this, this is the first time I've changed my levemir dose so am not entirely sure how this works.

Thanks

lilibet

In theory if your basal is set, you can then set your carb to insulin ratio so it figures that if you change the basal then the bolus would change, so yes, I think that is the case

Levemir is background but does prob help a bit with mealtimes (by default)