Changed to Levemir today :)

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Wow I can't believe the improvement from Lantus! I've been on Lantus for a couple of weeks and set off great no problems at all, that was until I had to increase the units I needed and it went from a stinging to a burning and then increasing again was like a burning hot poker in my leg and making me limp :arghh:.

After twining on at my DSN I got a Levemir prescription and was told it could be better for me but then again it might not so I left the clinic really downhearted and upset. This has had me worried and completely stressed out since Monday (my GP doesn't release prescriptions for 48-72 hours) and I was dreading tonight with a new basal injection. I must say I am over the moon, no pain or limping and no cramping in my thighs. I am hoping that this will mean I can get back to a better sleep pattern as since starting Lantus I couldn't sleep and with a small baby in the house that was just a nightmare.

Sorry for rambling on but I feel so much better now about my treatment I just needed to tell someone :D

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well that is good news, it does sound like you were having a bad reaction to something in the lantus, it does pay to ask and swap insulins around when things don't go well :)

judy.suirane

Hi! I had the same problem with lantus. But then they put me on levemir and it was wonderful it seems to work really well I'm on 20 units just at night before bed and I think it's great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judy.suirane

I have great morning readings but pre supper is creeping up in the teens. I'm wondering if I took levemir after lunch instead of at night would that work better!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
I'm glad I am not the only one who has had this reaction to Lantus my DSN had to talk to her superior as she'd never heard of these side-effects before! I currently take 21uts at night time but my morning results are still terrible (well in my eyes at least, the DSN thinks I'm doing great compared to how it was).
Do you take a fast acting insulin with meals e.g. NovoRapid? Just because I have to increase my fast acting when my before meal readings creep up. It might be worth discussing with your doctor x