changeover concern

libbyM

I'd like to throw this question open to all who have crossedover from low fat diet to low carb diet.
I have been getting excellent advice from a member of this forum but my husband, who is not a diabetic but has many health problems i.e. heart, cholesterol, is getting cold feet about the low carbs! I have been diagnosed with T2 and high protein (still not sure what that's all about) and am happy to follow the guidelines but hubby who has been told over the years to avoid fat at all costs, is concerned.
We have read the wonderful success stories but he's still sceptical. Would others care to share their thoughts please?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Libby, I dont know what you may have been told (by someone on this forum) about changing from a low fat to a low carb diet but if you have been found to have protein in your urine I would be very weary of increasing my fat and protein intake as protein in urine can be a sign of kidney damage. Please speak with your doctor or ask for a referral to a dietician before increasing the fat and protein in your diet.

Reduction of carbs is what is important in controlling diabetes, increasing fat and protein is very controversial and not what most people do to get tight control. Most people myself included ate far too much food prior to diagnosis so a general reduction to a more realistic food intake and a reduction in carbs was all i and many others needed to do to achieve HbA1c's in the 5%'s.

I do hope no one has been offering diet advice via the PM system as without the knowledge of others to question advice it can be very dangerous and many warnings have been posted on this forum about reporting such practices. Hopefully the advice you have received is via the forum and not the PM system.

Kidney damage can be extremely dangerous and if that is what you have suffered then a special diet should be worked out for you in conjunction with a qualified dietician.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't need to add anything, but wholeheartedly agree with everything Sid has said.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I too agree with Sid - it is always best to check if you have other health problems before changing your way of eating, and I hope your doctor is open-minded and will discuss things with you and give you reasons and explanations so you know exactly where you are.

The only thing I would add, is that the best cholesterol/lipid profile readings I have ever had were when I was eating Atkins Induction Phase low-carb, which I did for 18 months, 2004/05. This was before I was diagnosed Type 2. I had no other health problems at the time, and I had discussed "doing Atkins" with my GP before starting it. I was monitored by my GP every step of the way, for blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol, all of which came down, and I lost 70lb.

If there is any chance of kidney or other problems - check with your GP before starting. Check with your GP anyway!

I replied to your other post without realising you had raised protein levels. It is perfectly possible to reduce your carb intake by reducing the starchy carbs and replacing them with lower carb veg such as salads, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc. to satisfy your appetite. You don't have to go overboard on extra fat and protein.

Good luck!

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid once again offers some excellent advice! :)

As your husband has a heart condition he would do well to continue following the advice from his cardiovascular team regarding diet & nutrition.

spaglemon

i never really understand why everyone seems to assume that low carb means high protein/fat , i now eat a very low carb diet and don't consume any more protein than i did before , infact probably quite a bit less

thanks

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
spaglemon said:
i never really understand why everyone seems to assume that low carb means high protein/fat , i now eat a very low carb diet and don't consume any more protein than i did before , infact probably quite a bit less

thanks
If you have cut your overall calorific intake then that's perfectly possible. If you reduce your carbs but still have a similar calorific intake then you must raise something else, protein, fats or both.