MalcolmB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Politicians
Hi All...

I've posted this info previously but now I'm looking for a bit of help and advice.

After 11 years of tight control my A1c has started to rise rapidly. About six months ago it was 8.4, up from a previous 5.5. At the time I was taking 2000mg Metformin/3mg Glimepiride. My Nurse Practicioner changed the Glimepiride to 100mg sitagliptin but last week my A1c was nearly 10. My morning BMs are between 15 and 20 mmol and sometimes go as high as 25 during the day.

She's reluctant to prescribe any more oral meds so I've an appointment with my GP to discuss the possibilty of injectables, either Victoza or Exenatide. My weight's fairly normal for my height (74 kilos/5ft 6in - sorry about the mixed units!) although it fluctuates widely, and this may be a problem because these are usually only prescribed for people carrying excess weight. I don't want to consider insulin yet as I do a lot of driving and I don't want any hassle from the DVLA.

Right now i feel ghastly, probably because of the high BG. I'm tired all the time, ache all over - particularly my feet, I can't concentrate and my memory is shot to pieces.

I just wondered if anybody has changed from oral meds to injectables and was it of any benefit? Obviously I can't continue as I am because complications will start to appear If I don't do something fairly soon.

I'd be really grateful for any comments or info any of you might have.

Best wishes

Malcolm

PS - Needles don't bother me :)

A

Anonymous

hi Malcolm

I used to be on oral meds for a long time... they clearly were not working on me though. In the end I had another C-peptide test and GAD test done and they discovered that I do not produce enough insulin anyhow. So they can throw all the pills at me they want and they wouldn't really work. I had to switch to injecting insulin and I've been told that is what I will be controlling my diabetes with from now on.

I'm not sure whether or not you've had a recent C-peptide done? If you've had diabetes for a while, it's worthwhile doing this as your pancreas may need help anyhow.

:D