1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Changing Lantus Time

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Beav, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Beav

Beav · Well-Known Member

Hello. As some of you may know ive been having problems with morning highs. 32 lantus and my sugar level shoots up in the night then 34 and I hypo. (it came down 5 units). Ive been to the hospital and they advised me to change my lantus from 11 at night to either breakfast or tea time. Im going to do it at tea time. They said I can split it up.

Do half at 11pm then half in them morning. Then the second morning do it all in the morning. Could I do this for tea time, 1/2 at tea time tomorrow night then the other 1/2 5 hours later before bed. Then the night after just do all at 6PM?

Hope this is clear.

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Try switching to morning or tea-time first using just a single dose and if that doesn't work then consider the split, I use to inject before bed but had a few night-time hypo's so my DSN suggested switching to 5-6pm instead, have to say it made a great difference and not had many problems since.

3. Beav

Beav · Well-Known Member

So give myself the full dose at 6pm tonight? (Last night I did it at 11PM) Im aware doing this my dosages will need to come down so I might not even inject for tea if its a small dosage as I have training at 8 and dont want to hypo. Ide rather run it a little too high for an hour or two if anything.

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

[/quote]

As your injecting lantus again after only 19 hours I would give a reduced dose for today and then your normal dose tomorrow at the same time, if your on 32 units then reduce the dose by around 6-7 units tonight but remember to test frequently and some night-time testing would be advisable over the next few nights, any doubts contact your DSN.

5. Beav

Beav · Well-Known Member

I was told by another doctor to bring it back 1hour each night. That might be the best as im only bringing it back 5hours

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Even better idea Beav :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook