Changing Levemir dose

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been slowly upping my dose of levmir over the last couple of weeks as the libre has shown me it was to low. im starting to get were i need to be for a stable line when im not eating.

However ive clearly been making up for the lack of levmir with larger novorapid does, this last weekend somthing seems to have hit and i need a less novorapid.

Problem is i now have no idea about ratios or what worked for foods previously. for instance for 40 carbs i had previously take 8 units. i did this yesterday with lunch and had a huge BS drop about an hour an a half after when the insulin was peaking.

Same goes for the morning, i have been waking up High in the morning mostly due to the levimir or being a little paranoid going to sleep with a lower blood sugar.

Today was the worse it has been in a while not really sure why though, i went to bed at 10 and woke up at 16 the libre shows a slow rise all night with a huge peak about an hour before i woke up.

previously to deal with this id take 4 units of Novorapid when i first wake up then an hour later have my breakfast (2 wheatabix) id take 8 ontop of this.

Today i took 5 units upon waking then a further 5 when i ate, 2 hours later and im now under 10 and still falling. if i had taken what i normaly do id likely be hypo by now.

could changing the dose have this effect? thing is i still think i need to up it more .

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, I'm a little confused as to how you are approaching this, and I suspect that's also part of the problem you are having too.

The best bet is to spend 24 hours without changing anything and monitor glucose levels, food carbohydrate and protein intake and insulin amounts and times. Then come back to us with the details.

It sounds as though you need to do some thorough basal testing throughout the day where you miss meals to ensure that your basal level is correct, but until we can see the 24hr data, we can't really give you as much helpful advice as we'd like.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree you need to get your Basal right before you play around with the rapid. Personally I just adjust my Basal to enable my fasting BS to be between 5 -7 mmol. It's a rough test but the 24hr routine is better. Once the Basal is 'right' you can focus on the rapid ratio for meals and not as a correction for the Basal.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
around with the rapid. Personally I just adjust my Basal to enable my fasting BS to be between 5 -7 mmol. It's a rough test but the 24hr routine is bette
I know about the 24 hour test i honestly dont think i could function in work without food though, i had an 8 hour gap between lunch and dinner yesterday and i held good at about 7 until about hour 6 and started to shoot up got to about 15 before i noticed and injected then had dinner a bit after that took some more insulin, id assume though that even if my levmir is wrong i shouldnt shoot up ? should i not more slowly rise?

im getting married in a couple of days so maybe it was the stress that caused it. there is just to many variables