changing your needle

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people don't change it everytime, but strictly speaking you should. It's up to you though.

Reactions: 2 people

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hands up I don't - you should but I change mine about once a day.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1417624307.044985.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change my needle after every injection. The only time i don't is if I am injecting my novorapid within minutes of my Lantus dose, then i re-use it but make sure to check for blockages extra well to insure i get my full dose.

Needles are fairly cheap for me with my insurance coverage so i feel i can afford to be safe lol I would hate to get an infection to save like 9 pennies on a needle :/

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yes, I used to once I'd seen that photo and DSN's and others explained how blunted they get. I now do with my lancets.
because YOU'RE WORTH IT!
it's more hygienic, less painful and better all round. I'd said most definitely yes get into the habit but of course like most I haven't abided by that all the time!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use a new needle every-time I inject, once over I did reuse them but not any-more.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The needles come with a fine lubricated coating to ease them in. After 1 use it's gone. So use a new one each time if possible :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use one a day. I believe the photos we've seen may be a bit of good marketing? I never have any pain on the 3rd injection of the day. Using one per day caries about zero risk of any infection as long as the needle is removed and returned to it's plastic shroud. Using 1 needle per day saves the NHS money which it desperately needs, but it's your choice.

lely

I used to use one a day, for novorapid. And change every couple nights for levermir.
Started to use fresh with every injection. I get less lumps, zero pain and fond my insulin is absorbed better. Not sure if it's just that my injection routine is better butties put it down to fresh needles. Plus I had an infection in an injection site in Aug, that's put me off reusing.

Reactions: 4 people

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
fres
I used to use one a day, for novorapid. And change every couple nights for levermir.
Started to use fresh with every injection. I get less lumps, zero pain and fond my insulin is absorbed better. Not sure if it's just that my injection routine is better butties put it down to fresh needles.
that's what I done and saw the same benefits, fresh needles play a big part I think.

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I used to use the old glass syringe and massive metal needle which all had to be sterilised after each injection so was in the mind set of re-using. But I now change after EVERY injection, after several years ago,a needle broke off in my thigh and is still floating round my body somewhere! It is not worth the risk.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I used to use the old glass syringe and massive metal needle which all had to be sterilised after each injection so was in the mind set of re-using. But I now change after EVERY injection, after several years ago,a needle broke off in my thigh and is still floating round my body somewhere! It is not worth the risk.

Concur with what your saying there, it's hard to get out of the mindset of reusing needles when we were told to reuse them back in the day of glass syringes, thank goodness the advice has now changed on reusing needles.