Channel 4

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
There's a programme on Channel 4 tonight (31 July) at 8.00pm about 6 women trying different diets to "attempt to put their illnesses into remission". Type 2 diabetes in this case.

It's called "Extreme Diet Wards: a Food Hospital Special".

Might be worth watching.

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
viviennem said:
There's a programme on Channel 4 tonight (31 July) at 8.00pm about 6 women trying different diets to "attempt to put their illnesses into remission". Type 2 diabetes in this case.

It's called "Extreme Diet Wards: a Food Hospital Special".

Might be worth watching.

Viv 8)

Hi All .

I am watching it - as a matter of interest .
Don't/wont judge nor jump to any rash thoughts - just quietly watch :thumbup:

Anna .

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
It's a toss up between Celebrity Masterchef on BBC 1 at 8.00 or that diabetes programme.

As I don't have any way to record things it will have to be the diabetes prog as at least I know that Masterchef will be on catch up....

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
zolabud said:
It's a toss up between Celebrity Masterchef on BBC 1 at 8.00 or that diabetes programme.

As I don't have any way to record things it will have to be the diabetes prog as at least I know that Masterchef will be on catch up....

If the NHS dietary advice is anything to go by, the menus could be very similar.........

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a feeling that someone from here was considering going on this and that the programme had advertised for participants on this forum, but I can't get the search to work to find the particular post.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm watching it now on channel 4 +1... It's quite interesting but I shall reserve judgement until the end of the program.

The most interesting bit so far though for me is that neither 'diet' is following NHS advice, haha! :D

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
cool im cured.... apparently, what was all the fuss about, pffft and you said ask hcp advice, all i needed was channel 4 and some milkshakes

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Well.... I plumped for Masterchef and watched the Diabetes prog on catch up.

20 minutes in and I have switched over.

I am rather speechless to be honest.

I shall wait with interest as to your views.

Zola.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
we have had diabetes big brother when do we get diabetes x factor simon can tell us we are too skinny to have the d factor

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
and from now on im going to ask everyone to sit in front of me eating sugary things so i get really upset, thatll inspire me

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think the forum rules let me say what I want to say about the wasted opportunity and dumbed down load of stereotypical garbage this was.

Not will the rules allow me to fully express my disgust at how they focussed on how much these poor people are costing the taxpayer. Are they not taxpayers?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
At no point in the programme did they mention any inherited factor.

This only fuels my friends assumptions that it is cos I 'Have put on so much weight in the last 5 years"....

This programme has made the assumption that Diabetics are costing the NHS millions as we all "Eat too much ".

As I said I am rather speechless....

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a whole long reply written out and my stupid phone deleted it.

Anyway, the gist of it was : Aaaaaaarrghh!!!

Stereotypes, misinformation, tax payers, blah blah blah.... What a shame channel 4 wasted such a good opportunity to really educate people.

And can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought diabetes was like dogs.... For life, not just for Christmas. Surely they're not *cured* they just have their diabetes under control?!?

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
I didn't watch the programme, I think. Did it involve some celebrities cooking meals for people?

From what I have read here so far I can safely assume the programme lived down to my expectations.

What is it with the Brits and so called reality tv? The only good thing I ever watched on c4 was The Big Bang Theory.