Charged for an emergency prescription in Scotland - anything i can do?

OB287

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Looking for any advice anyone may have!

I live in Scotland so I am entitled to free prescriptions, I am also a fairly new T1 diabetic (diagnosed in July 2016).

Last week, my usual doctor and pharmacy got my repeat prescription wrong, I received ketone testing strips instead of usual test strips. Unfortunately on receiving this prescription on the Friday, I had actually run out of test strips, and my usual pharmacy had none of the strips that I needed in stock!
So I went into another pharmacy to ask if it would be possible to pick up some strips, I was told they could write me a prescription for them but had no strips in stock either. So I left and headed to another pharmacy and asked the same thing. I was told that she thought the strips were "quite expensive". She then charged me £26.69 for one box of 50 test strips without consulting the duty pharmacist about writing me a prescription in an emergency.
I sought advice from my usual pharmacist in which I was told if I returned to the pharmacy with a prescription, it should cover the cost of my test strips and I may get a refund. So I did so, where I was then told that because I had never been in that pharmacy before to pick up a prescription, regularly or in an emergency, I would not be able to get my money refunded.

I am a student in my final year of university, I'm a very skint student, barely able to afford anything anyway, let alone having to pay for test strips when my repeat prescription gets done wrong for the third time!

If anyone has any advice as to what I can do here, it would be much appreciated. Or if anyone thinks I'm at a loss and should just give up, please let me know haha!

Thanks.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's extremely expensive anyway for test strips. Sorry I might have missed this but did you buy them? If you did you couldn't return them for obvious reasons. I would start all over again. Contact the doctor tell her what happened and get her/him to give you a new prescription.

OB287

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the reply!
I had a drs appointment yesterday to get a new prescription and I was told the same thing, he thought they may have swindled me a little but he also didn't think I would be able to get my money back with what I was doing. I did buy them, I don't think I mentioned that! I didn't want to go the whole weekend without being able to test my blood sugars at all (I'm under a lot of stress right now with uni and my sugars have been quite crazy!) so I bought them in a panic, essentially. I have since ordered and picked up a new repeat prescription and so I'm not short on strips anymore! I'm just trying to see if there's anyway I could get my money back basically.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think you will get you money back. However ask both the doctor and your usual pharmacy. Who knows. They may just give you another box for free.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm also in Scotland and sorry there's no way they will refund. If it is your usual pharmacy then there is always a possibility they would allow some emergency strips. I've very occasionally had to buy strips and I'm afraid that tends to be the going rate in a chemist. The odd time I've bought them they have always asked was it not possible to get a prescription as they are expensive. They are cheaper online if you need extra but of course that doesn't give you an immediate supply.
I'm afraid it is like any other purchase - unless there was something wrong with the goods no refund. Put it down to experience.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @azure:)

I think the issue you have @OB287 is that you dealt with a shop assistant rather than the pharmacist himself/herself. And the fact that you actually bought the strips is another issue entirely...

I have personally got insulin on an emergency prescription from a pharmacy in Shetland (when at work) even though my regular pharmacy is hundreds of miles away on the mainland. All I did was present my repeat prescription, and the pharmacist asked for the contact details of my GP. There was no money exchanged, naturally - because you cannot buy insulin in the UK. If you had spoken with the pharmacist rather than the shop assistant, I'm sure you would have been treated the same.

It's not even like you can get a box of strips from your usual pharmacy, take them with your receipt of purchase back to the place you bought them and trade the strips for a refund. They'll have your name stamped on them and I think because of that, would have to technically (and legally) be discarded...

Have you tried calling your GP and asking them? It's possible they can work something out with the pharmacy in order for you to get your money back.

Sorry I can't be of more help...

Last edited:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A little late for you now .. but what should have happened was .. you tell your regular pharmacist (not sales assistant) that its urgent that you have the test strips .. then they should then ring around other chemists until they find one with test strips. Then either send you over to collect them or get them delivered to their store and you get them.

You did purchase the strips .. so don't think anyone will give you a refund ..