Charging Insight Handset via car USB

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had some difficulties charging my insight handset from a 12v supply (car/caravan).

It appears that the handset will recognise all the USB 12v adaptors but will only charge from ones that have intelligent power management and limit the output power to around 0.6amps at 5v.

Samsung mobiles chargers seem to do the same, so found that by using an adapter designed to be used by a Samsung mobile everything is fine. The one I'm now using is Poweradd C3 (plugging into the Samsung socket).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NXQPHY2/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

The handset charges correctly from all my PC/Mac/mains USB hubs and power adaptors, its only car adaptors where I found an issue.

It will not charge from any of my other car adaptors or car USB direct sockets (in VW, Kia or Hyundai).

Hope this is helpful to others.

For those technically minded it appears Accu-Check decided not to build the USB power management into the handset, instead relying on the supply being limited to the levels it needs. It does seem to check the power available and turn off the battery charging if the USB power is too high, guess this is to stop overcharging/charging too fast the battery and ensuring its life is not compromised.