1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cheap coconut oil!

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Debmcgee, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Debmcgee

Debmcgee Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi
    Just found some mega cheap coconut oil in tesco in the ethnic good bit. £2.25 for a pot almost sand size as h&b that sells for £16!
    X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

2. Rosemaryx

Rosemaryx Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I bought this a few weeks ago but have not tried it apart from giving my daughter some for her dry hair lol,what can be cooked with it,it has no smell,but I bought it as I have seen post about coconut oil...

3. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

makes good deserts when you need a fat too... cocoa balls

• Like Like x 2
  4. Debmcgee

I use it for desserts and baking as you can taste the coconut. I'm yet to use it for savoury dishes

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

5. Is the £2.25 stuff called KTC? The dearer stuff will be virgin. I think they are not the same thing...different manufacturing process hence the difference in price. The virgin oil I got from Amazon has a very intense smell which is good for cauli rice.

• Like Like x 2
  6. aqualung

aqualung Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

they don't sell the cheap coconut oil in our tesco.

7. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get the KTC from the Asian shop it is less than £2 it doesnt taste very coconutty but it is great for roasting veg and making celeriac chips
    CAROL

• Like Like x 2
  8. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

9. Debmcgee

Yes ktc.

Shame :(

10. If it turns out you don't like eating it, I read it is very good as a moisturiser :)

11. Debmcgee

I knew that! I used it when I was preg to limit stretch marks!!

12. Amethyst579

Amethyst579 HCP · Well-Known Member

I know coconut oil is a saturated fat, but also full of good medium chain triglycerides, I have heard that it might encourage storage of fat in the liver and then conversely promote weight loss at the same time. Does anyone have any useful links which would tell me why coconut oil is beneficial in diabetes? Thank you

13. modesty007

modesty007 Other · Well-Known Member

14. Rosemaryx

Rosemaryx Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow...I found that link very interesting,I guess what I will do with my £2.50 jar from Tesco is use it for my hair and skin,and buy the organic one for cooking...Thank you for the link...xox

• Like Like x 4
  15. Amethyst579

Amethyst579 HCP · Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, lots of interesting links and references too. Presumably if we eat too much of it, ie if not part of our calorie intake for the day, just like any other fat we will still get fat?

16. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eating more calories than you burn will usually put weight on you.

However some research suggests that if you eat carbs then they go very quickly to body fat but it takes longer to convert dietary fat into body fat.
    If you are in ketogenesis I think some of the extra fats can pass out of your body as ketones in your urine.
    However don't rely on me saying this - I am still reading up about it.

Cheers

LGC

• Like Like x 3
  17. Debmcgee

Ketosis not the other one which is dangerous. :)

I think everything within reason is ok but don't eat excessively x

18. modesty007

modesty007 Other · Well-Known Member

Some basic (and a bit simplified) biochemistry and biology, when you eat carbs whether that sugar or other carbs this will increase your blood sugar as a response the body releases insulin or you need to give your body insulin. Insulin increase fat storage and stops fat metabolism. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs makes you fat
    http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/up-close-and-personal-with-the-hormone-insulin/
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes-going-rest-life
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/science
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

• Like Like x 5
  19. ronjo94

ronjo94 · Member

I was prescribed Simvastain for cholesterol control but this caused a memory loss. Was recommended Coconut oil and a few almonds daily. This definitely improved my cholesterol readings and from 2.4 I'm now at 1.8. I recommend it. It must however be a quality virgin oil. I use a rounded dessertspoon full in my morning porridge and, after lunch, a small handful of natural almonds (not processed)
    Virgin Coconut oil is cholesterol free. When digested, the medium chain triglycerides contained in the oil go directly to the liver and are transformed into energy not fat. The oil also contains around 50% Lauric Acid which is one of the main constituents of mothers milk.

• Like Like x 4
    #19 ronjo94, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook