Cheap coconut oil!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Just found some mega cheap coconut oil in tesco in the ethnic good bit. £2.25 for a pot almost sand size as h&b that sells for £16!
X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
I bought this a few weeks ago but have not tried it apart from giving my daughter some for her dry hair lol,what can be cooked with it,it has no smell,but I bought it as I have seen post about coconut oil...

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it for desserts and baking as you can taste the coconut. I'm yet to use it for savoury dishes

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Is the £2.25 stuff called KTC? The dearer stuff will be virgin. I think they are not the same thing...different manufacturing process hence the difference in price. The virgin oil I got from Amazon has a very intense smell which is good for cauli rice.

Reactions: 2 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
they don't sell the cheap coconut oil in our tesco.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the KTC from the Asian shop it is less than £2 it doesnt taste very coconutty but it is great for roasting veg and making celeriac chips
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes ktc.

Shame :(

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew that! I used it when I was preg to limit stretch marks!!

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know coconut oil is a saturated fat, but also full of good medium chain triglycerides, I have heard that it might encourage storage of fat in the liver and then conversely promote weight loss at the same time. Does anyone have any useful links which would tell me why coconut oil is beneficial in diabetes? Thank you

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Wow...I found that link very interesting,I guess what I will do with my £2.50 jar from Tesco is use it for my hair and skin,and buy the organic one for cooking...Thank you for the link...xox

Reactions: 4 people

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you very much, lots of interesting links and references too. Presumably if we eat too much of it, ie if not part of our calorie intake for the day, just like any other fat we will still get fat?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thank you very much, lots of interesting links and references too. Presumably if we eat too much of it, ie if not part of our calorie intake for the day, just like any other fat we will still get fat?

Eating more calories than you burn will usually put weight on you.

However some research suggests that if you eat carbs then they go very quickly to body fat but it takes longer to convert dietary fat into body fat.
If you are in ketogenesis I think some of the extra fats can pass out of your body as ketones in your urine.
However don't rely on me saying this - I am still reading up about it.

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketosis not the other one which is dangerous. :)

I think everything within reason is ok but don't eat excessively x

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Some basic (and a bit simplified) biochemistry and biology, when you eat carbs whether that sugar or other carbs this will increase your blood sugar as a response the body releases insulin or you need to give your body insulin. Insulin increase fat storage and stops fat metabolism. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs makes you fat
http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/up-close-and-personal-with-the-hormone-insulin/
http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes-going-rest-life
http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes
http://www.dietdoctor.com/science
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Reactions: 5 people

ronjo94

I know coconut oil is a saturated fat, but also full of good medium chain triglycerides, I have heard that it might encourage storage of fat in the liver and then conversely promote weight loss at the same time. Does anyone have any useful links which would tell me why coconut oil is beneficial in diabetes? Thank you
I was prescribed Simvastain for cholesterol control but this caused a memory loss. Was recommended Coconut oil and a few almonds daily. This definitely improved my cholesterol readings and from 2.4 I'm now at 1.8. I recommend it. It must however be a quality virgin oil. I use a rounded dessertspoon full in my morning porridge and, after lunch, a small handful of natural almonds (not processed)
Virgin Coconut oil is cholesterol free. When digested, the medium chain triglycerides contained in the oil go directly to the liver and are transformed into energy not fat. The oil also contains around 50% Lauric Acid which is one of the main constituents of mothers milk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people