Cheese and crackers.

Cleggsta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Anyone know of a substitute for crackers, cant eat em I suppose cant eat stuff like Melba toast as well .
Looking for something that will go with cheese that is not high in Carbs sugar for an occasional treat ?

Reactions: 2 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Anyone know of a substitute for crackers, cant eat em I suppose cant eat stuff like Melba toast as well .
Looking for something that will go with cheese that is not high in Carbs sugar for an occasional treat ?
I love crackers and cheese, lol. You'd think crackers would be an easy option wouldn't you, but it's amazing how many carbs the manufactures pack into them! Ryvita do one which has 3carbs per slice but you need to check which one. Also Nairn are currently selling a special edition "Cracked Black Pepper" oatcake which contains 1g carb per cracker and are delicious. Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: 5 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
image.jpg

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
IAlso Nairn are currently selling a special edition "Cracked Black Pepper" oatcake which contains 1g carb per cracker and are delicious. Hope this helps. :)

Wow!! 1 gram per cracker-I'll be sure to look out for them-many thanks for the heads up! :)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Wow!! 1 gram per cracker-I'll be sure to look out for them-many thanks for the heads up! :)
:) I was so delighted to find them I phoned the company, and asked that as they are so low carb they add them to their full range. Think girl I spoke with thought I was crazy woman, but said she'd pass on my comments :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl do a wholegrain rye crispbread with sesame seeds, It is very light and crunchy. The ryvita dark rye works for me too, but it is thicker and a little harder. For mega thin and very hard, Peter's Yard Artisan swedish crispbread is hard to beat. The high rye content in these brands made them very slow to release their carbs and, unless you are extremely sensitive to any carbs at all, they should be good. As always, test.

I make up 'spreads' by grinding up anyone one of a number of herbs or spices, dill, chilli, mustard seed , paprika, onion seed, chives, etc etc and add it to anyone of a number of things like cream cheese, creme fraiche, sour cream, natural yoghurt, again either as is or mixed. It's great fun experimenting.

qbilder_176_Kraeuter_Topfen_Aufstrich.jpg

A good sharp cheddar, thinly sliced, with very thin slices of pickled onion is hard to beat too.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love crackers and cheese, lol. You'd think crackers would be an easy option wouldn't you, but it's amazing how many carbs the manufactures pack into them! Ryvita do one which has 3carbs per slice but you need to check which one. Also Nairn are currently selling a special edition "Cracked Black Pepper" oatcake which contains 1g carb per cracker and are delicious. Hope this helps. :)
You should be suspicious of things like " available carbs" when you don't get the total carbs. If it looks too good to be true it usually is.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
:) I was so delighted to find them I phoned the company, and asked that as they are so low carb they add them to their full range. Think girl I spoke with thought I was crazy woman, but said she'd pass on my comments :)

Sorry to bring the bad news Beachbag but there was a mistake with the carb content on the packaging and it's 5.8g of carbs per oat cracker, I'm surprised they never told you this on the phone!

http://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/limited-edition-cracked-black-pepper-oatcake

4-6g of carbs is about the average for an oat crackers, Nairns do a cheese oat cracker that is slightly thinner than the average and that has 3.8g of carbs (from memory) they are really delicious and are even nice on their own with nothing added:)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be suspicious of things like " available carbs" when you don't get the total carbs. If it looks too good to be true it usually is.

Trees have loads and loads of carbs as does hay and straw and many, many other things. None of these carbs will be available nor nourishment, they will all pass straight through you. Most brans contain between 60 and 70 g of carbohydrate per 100g, corn bran contains 86g. It is not digested. There are many types of carb and the body does not process them all into glucose: Carbohydrates: Occurrence, Structures and Chemistry

Truvia for example contains 99g of carbs per 100g of product. None of it is digested which is why it has zero calories.

Milk has carbs, in the lactose, but this is not available to most of the world who do not produce the necessary enzyme lactase. Not all carbs are the same and not everybody's biochemistry is the same.
fig1

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I eat the Nairns standard oat biscuits, about 6.5g, around the same as Ryvita Rye.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sorry to bring the bad news Beachbag but there was a mistake with the carb content on the packaging and it's 5.8g of carbs per oat cracker, I'm surprised they never told you this on the phone!

http://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/limited-edition-cracked-black-pepper-oatcake

4-6g of carbs is about the average for an oat crackers, Nairns do a cheese oat cracker that is slightly thinner than the average and that has 3.8g of carbs (from memory) they are really delicious and are even nice on their own with nothing added:)

:( They really need a proof reader. From link..,

*Unfortunately the carbohydrate value on our Cracked Black Pepper Oatcakes pack is incorrect. The correct values are 5.8g per oatcake and 57.9g per 100g. We appolopgise for any inconvenience caused.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
:( They really need a proof reader. From link..,

*Unfortunately the carbohydrate value on our Cracked Black Pepper Oatcakes pack is incorrect. The correct values are 5.8g per oatcake and 57.9g per 100g. We appolopgise for any inconvenience caused.

That's taking the p.

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hey Yorksman! Got all excited when you mentioned Peters Yard crispbread as was one of fave snacks with butter and hard cheese ( I have 2 boxes still sitting in the cupboard - present from mother-in-law) but just read carb content and is 60g per 100g so am confused? You will have to forgive me as I am completely new to all of this and was recently diagnosed last Wednesday. I have been on LCHF diet since last Thursday. There is a recipe for oopsies (yes you did read that correctly) which I haven't tried yet but intend to! Go on, make my day and tell me some great news about the crispbreads!