This is what healthy eating looks like:
tumblr_kyyr16NV9g1qzvnxpo1_500.jpg

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
LOL

Looks more like a heart attack on a plate to me

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
borofergie said:
This is what healthy eating looks like:
tumblr_kyyr16NV9g1qzvnxpo1_500.jpg

Ooooooooooh myyyyyyyyy Gooooooooooooood! I really like the look of that Boro. :lol: :lol: :lol:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The two candles are probably more healthy

Great photo.

Roy.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'm definitely going to eat more bacon strips ... more bacon strips ... more bacon strips ... :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Nope afraid even I think that's just plain wrong. No pudding :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
lucylocket61 said:
Sid Bonkers said:

Looks more like a heart attack on a plate to me

No, its all about portion control.

Even using portion control I wouldnt want to eat that, way to much saturated fat thanks :lol:

Though pleasing on the eye,way too much saturated fat in there and in my view a definite recipe for more health troubles! I wouldn't to touch it under any circumstances, not even with a ten-foot pole!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Ireneo Chipukunya said:
Though pleasing on the eye,way too much saturated fat in there and in my view a definite recipe for more health troubles! I wouldn't to touch it under any circumstances, not even with a ten-foot pole!

Well I certainly wouldn't eat it all in one sitting - I might think about sharing it, but haven't made my mind up on that one yet. :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
WhitbyJet said:
Try the baconcado, my sister-in-law brought this in for my lunch a few days ago, am being spoilt rotten

http://baconjew.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/baconcado.html
Hi judith.
Thank you for this post and bacon/advocado recipe .
Will attempt to try this soon...

It is so up my street and the very type of thing I can really enjoy
With a few veggies or a small salad alongside it.
Its got some of my favourites in - 'yay' :thumbup:
Plus my mother would also like and enjoy it too.
Can make one for us both...

Glad to hear you're being spoilt rotten judith - You deserve it :wave:
Anna.

Defren

Ireneo Chipukunya said:

The old views that sat fat is bad for us, is being eroded on an almost daily basis. I eat around 65% of my calories a day in sat fat and my cholesterol is normal. I eat around 30% as protein to fill me up and 5% as carbs. I have not felt as well as I do now for around 20 years, maybe more. If sat fat is going to kill me, then I will die happy and feeling wonderful, I doubt very much that is going to be the case though.

Grazer

+1 Defren. My extra fat diet has taken my cholesterol from 5.5 to 3.8 - and my HbA1c to 5.7%. Also lost four inches off my waist. If you judge science by results, just eat the bacon and cheese mug.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Defren said:
Ireneo Chipukunya said:

The old views that sat fat is bad for us, is being eroded on an almost daily basis. I eat around 65% of my calories a day in sat fat and my cholesterol is normal. I eat around 30% as protein to fill me up and 5% as carbs. I have not felt as well as I do now for around 20 years, maybe more. If sat fat is going to kill me, then I will die happy and feeling wonderful, I doubt very much that is going to be the case though.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Ditto Defren - the last 20 years or so of 'low fat this that and the other' has nearly killed a lot of people off. I feel like I'm back on track with my food now and much better for it. :D

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
What I want to know is, is this how BF spends his spare time? Is this a self made masterpiece BF, Hmmm? :D

I could probably manage a few strips of the bacon grilled to a crisp and some of the cheese but not a lot. Nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of a higher fat diet, I just don't like fried food very much!

desidiabulum

Hang on, surely saturated fats isn't the only issue here? I thought processed meats are bad for your health because of high levels of sodium, nitrate levels reducing insulin production, higher risk of stomach and pancreatic cancer (wasn't there some Swedish research on this?), etc - and that THOSE are the reasons why we are advised to have no more than one portion of processed meats a week.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you all will!)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Ireneo Chipukunya said:

Then just eat some nice carbs instead.

Almost every high-quality (prospective) observational study ever conducted has found that saturated fat intake is not associated with heart attack risk (or with increased cholesterol):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648
http://www.ajcn.org/content/77/5/1146.short
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1386252
http://www.ajcn.org/content/67/5/828.short
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0711003145

A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

Saturated fat is only implicated in heart disease as part of the defunct: "diet-heart hypothesis", which states that increased cholesterol causes heart disease, saturated fat increases cholesterol, therefore saturated fat causes heart disease.

This is wrong because (a) it's based on childish logic and (b) saturated fat has only be observed to increase cholesterol in short term trials, over the longer term it has no significant effect.

Stephan Guyenet has a great overview of all that research that links saturated fat consumption with increased cholesterol (spoiler alert: there is none) http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... rease.html

Don't take my word for it (or even Stephan's), you can listen to one of the leading researchers in the field telling you that carbohydrates increase cholesterol, not saturated fats:
http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/04/ ... t-depends/

We looked carefully at the saturated fat effects. With more saturated fat in the diet, we did see a signal for an increase in the overall amount of cholesterol in their blood. But when we looked more carefully, that slightly increased amount of total cholesterol was not being carried by more of the dangerous, small particle LDLs. It seemed to be carried more by larger particles. Actually, in the people eating more fat, and fewer carbs, the total particle concentration, which most people in our field think is a stronger signal of risk that total cholesterol, the total number of particles did not go up.

When people ate more fat and less carbohydrate, the number of small particle LDLs remained low, and switching from monounsaturated to saturated fat didn’t increase their number at all. In fact, when people switched from mono- to saturated fat in this study, the large particle LDLs might have gone up a little bit, and the small particles went down. So by anybody’s current criteria about whats’s important for heart disease risk, saturated fat caused no increase in risk. That was clear to people who understand the role to the lipoprotein particles, as opposed to the overall cholesterol level, which I’m sure for some people is a subtle distinction.

Avoiding saturated fats is, in my opinion, foolish, espeically if you replace them with carbohydrates and / or PUFAs.