CHERRY ON THE CAKE

juliao

Hello everyone, my name is julia and I was diagnosed with diabetes just over a year ago and have just found this forum by chance.

I have type 2 diabetes.

I had thought that I had escaped diabetes, there are many family members who have both type 1 and type 2 and mature onset, so living with diabetes is something that i grew up with.

My own health took a different route and I was diagnosed with cervical cancer just over 4 years ago, I had surgery, radiotherapy, re-occurance and more surgery which has resulted in a colostomy and urostomy. I have no large intestines or bladder etc. Just over 3 years ago I was diagnosed with with arthritis and my knees show signs of permanent changes(for the worse) due to the arthritis. Then at one of my check ups for cancer a blood test was taken and diabetes was discovered.

I found the DESMOND day totally stressful as questions like 'what part of your body do you want to change' left me reeling.

I was started on metformin, I found it dufficult to tolerate, so they put me on the slow release version which was as ok for a couple of months, the dose was gradually increased but I could not tolerate it and it was passing through me too quickly due to lack of bits inside. I am now attempting to get used to exenertide injections and am on my second month of of 5mu g twice a day. I find it causes drowsiness, even when blood readings are in the 7s and it also has a constipating effect.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had abdominal surgery and also has diabetes as I find my world pretty lonely.

Thanks for reading
Julia
we will all be winners in our own way

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya julia and welcome,
you have been through the mill havent you, im not type 2 and cant really help with the other problems but im sure someone who can help will be along too, this forum is great so stick around :D
amanda

chocoholic

Hi Julia,
Sorry to hear you've had such a rough ride. I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and I hope there might be another member who can help you withyour query.
All the best, chocoholic.

Aadrgon

Hi Julia welcome to the forum

You will find lots of useful information in here and a bunch of friendly helpful people.
If you need advice ask - someone will probably be able to advise you.
If you want to rant feel free - we can all offer support for a rant :)