1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

chewing gum

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by bedshaped2000, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bedshaped2000

bedshaped2000 · Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me can i have chewing gumsugar free. i looked on the back and there is no sugar in orbit but there was loads of stuff that ended in ose which i have been told to stay away from. I also noticed there was carb but surely because your not swallowing the gum this wouldnt apply would it. i know chewing gum will probably make me feel more hungry but i find between meals when im driving my mouth gets a bit rancid due to me not eating much between meals. any ideas anyone?

2. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hi,
    ive tried sugarfree gum and it does send my bloods up, all u can do is try and test your bloods,anything ending in ose is a sugar :D

3. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Nutritional info for Orbit.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 2 pieces (3g)

Calories 5

Amount/Serving %DV*

Total Fat 0g 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
    Sugars 0g
    Sugar Alcohol 2g
    Protein 0g

* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

INGREDIENTS:SORBITOL, GUM BASE, ACACIA, GLYCEROL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS; LESS THAN 2% OF: MANNITOL, ASPARTAME, SOY LECITHIN, COLORS (TITANIUM DIOXIDE, BLUE 1, YELLOW 5), ACESULFAME K, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CARNAUBA WAX, BHT (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS). PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE

You would swallow the sugar alcohols in saliva when you are chewing.

Nutritional info for sugar free.

Serving Size 1 piece (1.9g)
    Calories <5

Amount/Serving %DV*

Total Fat 0g 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 1g <1%
    Sugars 0g
    Sugar Alcohol 1g
    Protein 0g
    * Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

INGREDIENTS:SORBITOL, GUM BASE, ERYTHRITOL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, GLYCEROL; LESS THAN 2% OF: MANNITOL, XYLITOL, CITRIC ACID, MALIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, ASPARTAME-ACESULFAME, HYDROGENATED STARCH HYDROLYSATE, ASPARTAME, GELATIN, HYDROXYLATED SOY LECITHIN, COLORS (YELLOW 5, RED 40, YELLOW 6 LAKE, YELLOW 5 LAKE), BHT (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS), SUCRALOSE. PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

4. RebeccaSmith

RebeccaSmith · Well-Known Member

I can't say that I have noticed a difference in my hunger of my blood sugar levels when I have sugar free chewing gum

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook