Chickpeas

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Ok, just to get some clarification on this...

I understand that chickpeas are low GI. But are they low carb? I keep getting different information from different sources.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
According to the Collins Gem carb counter they are:
small can 200gm 32.2
Tesco whole foods chick peas.400gm tin carb drained weight is 240gm =38.6 gm.

Dried boiled 115gm 20.8g

Dobbs

I couldn't live without my chick pea curry - well, I wouldn't want to. If I skip the rice it does hardly anything to raise my levels. I'm a type 2. I'm not that crazy about humous.

Reactions: suginami

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Ooh that does sound nice. I just made a lamb curry with chickpeas and salad. I don't touch rice anymore but without chickpeas I dunno what I'd have... :cry:

Spiral

I think that many of the carbs in chickpeas are pretty indigestible. i find that they don't make me spike that much, so I continue to eat 'em. Love all things chickpea. Hummus especialy, and this wonderful Morrocan style chickpea and spinach stew (with a few dried apricots :oops: ) which I make from time to time. Yum. Must try that again soon, I've not made it since i have been testing regularly.

howie

guys i'm addicted to hummus, have been for about 4 years. i go through a tub a day easy. it's one thing i couldn't give up so pretty happy bout its nutritional content etc. far as i know chickpeas got the lowest GI going. shame ben and jerry's cookie dough ain't the same.

chick peas are 16.1g's carbo per 100g's (canned) 49.6 for dried.

hummuns is 11.6g's of carb per 100g's

howie

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Howie, try making your own hummous. There are plenty of recipes on the internet if you just Google. In Lebanon a couple of years ago I ate it every day. Lebanese cuisine is on a par with French cooking. Fresh and tasty. Wish we had a Lebanese restaurant in Luxembourg.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You need to watch portion size with chickpeas
I got values for carb of 16% and 18% in different refrerence books.
Hana