child painful blood tests (crying)

debbietowns

Hi
My 12 year old was diagnosed end Nov 09 and coped well at first but now is experiencing increasing levels of pain on his fingers when doing the blood tests.

Is there a device that is better than the one he uses which is Bayer microlet.

I have seen an advert for a Pelican Sun from Canada which is 199 dollars. Is there anything similar available in UK? Is it worth the money?

Thanks
Debbie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Debbie,

I can't really think of one that is any less painful than others. Most devices have depth adjustment on them, but I would imagine you have it on the lowest setting. Have a word with your lads DSN about this, they may suggest something.

Regards

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Debbie.
As far as I am aware that device is not available here. That was discussed here some time ago. Do a search for more info top left of the screen. Nigel gave good advice.

One thing I would ask is which part of the finger is your son 'pricking ?'

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Debbie,
i assume as Noblehead has said, that the testing device is at its lowest setting, enough to withdraw blood, and that he is not testing on the very tip of his fingers, plus that he is not using the same finger all the time, and changing the lancet after use. You could try alternative site testing, the device your using now should tell you which sites are suitable. Other than that, it is not a problem that my 11yr old son has encountered, our problems in the early days was more do to pain on injecting, but that after almost 4yrs is something we have overcome. It will get easier, like all things diabetic related, it just takes time.
Take care,
Suzi x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If anybody goes down the (AST) Alternative Site Testing route, please ensure you discuss it with your HCP's first as this method is not as accurate as 'finger pricking' which is the recommended method.

There is a thread on here all about AST and it's drawbacks. However as Suzi says, it may be an option in this case.

Fujifilm

I use the insulin pen needles, they are super sharp and do not hurt half as much as firing a bolt in to your finger. :D

Not found one finger prick device that is nice to use. With the insulin pen needle I get no pain.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi there,

Sorry to hear your son's not coping well with the testing. I do use my son's toes a little bit (mainly when he's asleep at night). This isn't recommended as a fabulous place because of the need to take good care of feet and the blood supply down there but for now it is considered okay. The results are accurate unlike using the arm or other places. I'd also consider changing the lancer either up or down to find the least painful depth. If you have to squeeze to get blood out you could be doing more damage/bruising and make the fingers sore. I was also taught to prick and then wait a few seconds so the blood flows. The nurse talked about capilliary shock.

I also find that my son's fingers are really great all through summer but in winter (like you are in now) the colder weather slows the healing and I tend to keep moisturiser around to help stop the skin getting dry. My kiddo is getting tested about 7 times a day (for the past 2.5 years) and only has tiny fingers and they are all looking great at the moment. I don't know how a 12 year old boy would feel about using hand cream. :shock:

Diabetes is a bit overwhelming at times and maybe the fact that it isn't going away is making your son feel a bit miserable about it all. It is a relentless condition.

All the best to you both, Jen.

Fujifilm

Jen&Khaleb said:
I don't know how a 12 year old boy would feel about using hand cream. :shock:

Its the in thing at the moment for lads to take care of their skin etc, I am off out to get some guy liner. :lol:

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I have enough trouble getting my 15 yr old (today) to wear deodorant and clean his teeth let alone do any manscaping.

Jen
Fujifilm said:
Its the in thing at the moment for lads to take care of their skin etc, I am off out to get some guy liner.