China Buffet King for lunch

Diabetic Al

My friend is taking me out to China Buffet King today. I can't find any information online about sugar contents for their meals.
Does anyone know how safe they are or whither I should insist on going somewhere else?

joelcam

Tuck in!! Take what you feel you need to do and learn for next time..

A few weeks back I had a chinese takeaway with friends and normally with evening meal I take 6 units but I decided I'd go for a big 8 as I was eating lots of carbs...checked my blood 2 hrs later and I was 17!! (Normally back to 5). So next time I ate the same and had 12 units and I was cool.....pure guess work but it worked....

Got me hungry now!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Al, Chinese take away style food as a rule is high in carbs (and sat fat!) if you have lots of rice, noodles etc but you can find chicken or prawn dishes (not sweet and sour, obviously!) which are lower. just watch your portion sizes and fill up on the chicken and veg :D

jopar

Another thing to watch with chinese meals/food is that because they tend to have an high fat content this can slow the carb adsorbtion too quick..

It takes a bit of trail and error I must admit, but to avoid going hypo before the carbs really kick in, is to split your injection into 2 injecting some before your meal to keep even, then either after eating or a little after injecting the rest of the bolus.. I used to do this when I injected before I had my pump, with the pump I have the luxuary of programing my bolus to do it for me...

It can take several attempts to find the best dose before eating, and best timing after you've eaten, I have a list of the verious chinese takeaways that I use, each one I have my bolus split and total amounts needed..

Happy eating

howie

ah what wish i had a pump, but i don't so i'm with joelcam on this one! trial and error with the units.