chinese medicine ?

clivedon

Dislikes
incorrect use of apostrophes
does anyone have any information or experience to share about traditional chinese medicine? :?:

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
personally speaking as a pure sceptic would say most of all if not 99 % of Chinese medicine is a pot of crocs. that said , i did have a few friends who said an ear piercing did relieve them of back suffering

Thirsty

Yup.

Who do you want to trust to provide you with decent health care? A doctor, who has spent years studying his/her subject, or some shyster who can set up a "Chinese" medicine shop wherever he/she wants?

Think about it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Proper Chinese Medicine is based on thousands of years of knowledge and each qualified practitioner has studied for years. that's not to say that every high street Chinese doctor is qualified, but herbal medicine has it's place in Western practice too. Digitalis, the heart medicine, originates from foxgloves and aspirin from willow bark. Morphine comes from the opium poppies and a little searching would find many more. In Central Europe, sick puppies were cured with mouldy cheese, donkeys years before Fleming left his petri dish out with its lid off. Incidentally, Fleming didn't believe the mould on it would be of any clinical use, just tthat it might be a laboratory assay tool.
There may well be a useful means of diabetes control in chinese medicine., just as there are probably diabetics in China.

Reactions: 4 people

Thirsty

hanadr, "proper" Chinese medicine?

Could you explain exactly what that is and how it is licensed and controlled?

I wouldn't question your assertion that many medicines are derived from vegetables but, wouldn't you agree that many people here wouldn't be alive without modern Western medicines?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
If you google "Chinese medicine, you will find loads, and don't forget the hundreds of thousands of practitioners in China, who work alongside Western style doctors. They have their medical training. I remember reading somewhere that you can check up on a Chinese doctor. but I'm not sure where, I would have to do a thorough search and I'll leave that to you. china had civilisation and doctors, while Europe was in the dark ages.
There was at one time, a study on medicinal plants going on at the University of Jamaica.
I don't know how far it went.
Here in Britain, it's a bit of a tradition to disparage anything "Different" and "foreign"

Reactions: 3 people

Thirsty

hanadr, if you google anything you'll find loads....

...and loads of bullcrap.

Let's start with acupuncture, shall we? It's based on an unproven belief that sticking needles in certain parts of the body cures diseases.

Well, I'm afraid that's a stream of steam.

Just because people have believed in something for a few thousand years doesn't mean it's true.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
. It also doesn't mean it isn't!!!!!I had a quick look and there's a website about chinese medicine qualifications.Here:
http://www.atcm.co.uk/about1.htm this looks pretty respectable. In the days when The Open University showed on BBC2, I used to watch it and saw surgery being carried out with just acupuncture for anasthesia. I do believe in the common sense of people. given long enough, they will discard things that don't work. After all we are now pardonning those who were executed for witchcraft, up to the 17th century. A whole civilisation cannot have been wrong for so may centuries

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
acupuncture is available in the pain clinic in our trust (really bad title there!)

I'm a sceptic and a migraine sufferer. The sort of migraines that have me transported in an ambulance, blues and twos, to the ED where I'm the recipient of major drug therapy, all the while begging for someone to kill me to end the pain and severe nausea. My terror that one day I will stroke out or kill myself during one, is very real. (had a very interesting reaction to morphine once, I knew I was alive but those around me thought I'd copped it)

One bout saw me speeding to an emergency out of hours clinic for treatment before it got too bad. By the time I had got past the walking well, I was in a bad way. Three acupuncture needles later, I opened my eyes and kissed the doctor in sheer disbelief. The effect was as immediate as flicking a light switch. I am one of the extremely lucky ones; I get post-migraine euphoria, I skipped home.

In my practice as a Midwife, I see the unexplainable and the unexpected every day and amazing women who rely on complimentary therapies that work.

I'm still sceptical though.

wiflib

Thirsty

Fair enough.

Stop taking your insulin/gliclazide/metformin etc. for a few days, stick a few pins in your ears and see what happens to your BG levels.

Thirsty

ChocFish, you're a treasure and I'm genuinely fond of you but that site you linked to isn't one I'd trust.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I don't think that chinese mdicine reats diabetes with acupuncture. I should think i's more likely to be a herbal medicine and I know that herbals can be used for loads of things.

Thirsty

Hanadr, I don't disagree. What concerns me is the enormous amount of snake oil and downright fraud in the alternative/complementary medicine game. I gave acupuncture as an example because it's based on rather bizarre mystical beliefs for which there is absolutely no evidence. The same can be said for homoeopathy, chiropractic, reflexology and a whole heap of other "therapies".

Herbal remedies? Some work, some don't and some can be dangerous. All I'm trying to say is that if you suffer from a serious illness like diabetes, proven treatments are available and should be the first option.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
It's ironic that for T2 diabetes, our Western Scientific doctors are advising a High carb Diet then. Surely that's snake oil too. A proven way of treating T2 would be a low carb, high exercise lifeplan. Wuld have no side effects either.
I don't have that much faith in Scientific medicine.

Reactions: 2 people

Thirsty

hanadr, my Western doctor hasn't advised me to adopt a high carb diet, nor has my diabetes nurse or the dietitian at the local hospital. In fact, they've given me sound advice which has led to excellent control of my diabetes.

You're quite right in saying that the medical profession is far from being perfect but, (and it's a big but), I can honestly tell you that without them, and the scientists who produce treatments which truly work, I wouldn't be alive today.

Yin and Yang? Meridians? Pah!

Give me salbutamol which allows me to breathe and gliclazide which allows me to live a reasonably normal life without collapsing in the street.

rant over

frances8551

Not related to diabetes directly, but I have a friend who had asthma, and apparently she had some appointments with a traditional chinese healer, and the asthma went away like three months into the treatment, she said. My mom’s considering alternative medicine as well, but I’m kind of worried about that, I keep telling her to only do it to accompany traditional methods of treatment. There’s just less scientific proof it works, and it worries me.

Thirsty

frances, as is the case with diabetes, there are different reasons why people suffer from asthma, one of which is anxiety. It's possible that your friend benefitted from being attended by a kindly person who helped her/him to cope with this; the placebo effect is powerful and well documented. Sadly, it appears to be of little long-term value in treating chronic conditions which have a physical cause.

As for your mother, I do hope she'll try evidence based medicine before trying alternative/complementary medicine as the practitioners are very, very good at emptying bank accounts.