Chinese traditional medicine and T1 with prolific retinopathy

bonerp

Hi I have had t1 for the best part of 37 yrs and on a pump. I also suffer retinopathy and have had 2 vitrectomies (3-4 yrs ago) one in each eye.

To help protect them, I take bilberry, grape seed, pine bark and lutein extracts. Whether these work in unknown but my eyes are stable so I'm happy.

However I do have thickening on the wall and will probably require lucentis injections soon ish.

To try to protect them further (and believe me you'd try anything to help) I got interested in chinese herbal remedies and on walking past a chinese herbs shop I popped in and after a quick consultation was advised I should try jiang tang green tea to remove heat and zhi bai di huang wan pills to restore yin to my liver and help stabilise bg's...so I bought some.

By the way if at this point you are likely to come on here and belittle or poo poo this - I am not looking for your input.... :)

Since trying these, around 6 hrs after taking the pills my bgs are unexpectedly high - anything from 13 - 18mmol. Its not typically like this. I wonder whether anyone else has followed this path and had odd results? these little tablets are supposed to cleanse the liver and restoe yin!

I went back into the same shop today and queried this and the response was that the pills should help to bring down bgs.....I think it would have helped if I spoke chinese as their english was causing a lack of understanding!!

Anyways, anyone used CTM with any success or similarly found it to cause more problems thatn its worth??
thanks in advance.

paul

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be looking to find out whats in it to make a better judgement...........

I have heard acupuncture can help out with similar restoration of yin etc..........might be worth a shot.............:)

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Internal Occular Eye Pressure - can and does raise the BG levels .
Maybe this is something to consider ?

I have this with myself it can be a real juggle and struggle to self manage .

saintckk

I have tried acupuncture and the zhi bai di huang wan pills for a period of more than 6 months managed to control bgs level from 10 to 5.5, it works, but it must coupled with exercise ( walking 4 times a day - 1 hour each). My TCM occasionally supplements with Korean gingseng bils and some kirney tonic.

bonerp

I have stopped taking zhi bai di huang pills for the week. After 2 or 3 days my BGs have improved and the jiang tang tea seems to help keep bgs down too -= based on green tea with some other magical goodies in.... I also felt very cold taking zhi bai di huang. I've warmed up too! One more try today and BGs are rising for no reason again. These are no good for me.

I've ordered qi ju di huang wan pills. Similar to the others but focused on the eyes - crysanthemum (sp?) which is supposed to be good for eyes. If they have an effect of raising bg's i'll give up on those.

saintckk did you have any raised bg's initially which then calmed down? I was told these pills were good for the liver yin and therefore the eyes (as ther liver is associated to the eyes)....I haven't seen anything to suggest they are good for reducing bg's.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonerp

Further update for anyone interested. I've replaced zhi bai di huang which were making my BGs high (like 17-21mmol) 6 hours after taking them, for Qi Ju Di Huang Wan. These are not affecting BGs but started taking half the dose and slowly increasing it to see if there is any effect.

Further updates as and when....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I hope yoiu find something that works for you, as it can be trail and error. I have though of the chinese medcines, but declined because of certain 'medicinal animal ingredients.' used in Asian 'medicine' and possible language problems

I have, in the past 3 weeks, been taking Visionace plus omega -3. two tablets per day with food, Visionace, with Bilberry & Carotenoids + Lutein & Omega -3 DHA capsules.
I go back to Southampton Hospital eye department ( not my local hospital) in March, as I was too ill to attend in October 2014.

Good luck

Best wishes RRB