Chips

zanc

Just standard sunflower oil. You could use olive oil instead. Sorry if I haven't made myself clear. I thought everyone knew how to cook chips.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Zanc!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChocFish

Zanc, try that with celeriac, aubergine and pumpkin, though I admit I dont do any deep frying, I have always been to scared of using a deep fat fryer in case it catches fire.

I just cut the veggies to look like chips toss them in melted mix of butter and oil and oven roast them, sprinkle with seasoning ooohhh I think I will go and do some of them right now, lovely dipped into mayo or sour cream dressing

All the best

Karen

Spiral

Diabetic junk food :shock: Wonderful :D 8)

Regarding deep fat friers... The fire brigade say that these are one of the biggest cause of fires in the home. However, the electric deep fat friers that get plugged in to the wall and have a lid on are quite safe, they are fitted with thermostats to prevent overheating and the lid makes it much safer. I'm considering getting a little one, the fabulous (John Lewis sometimes send him customers) kitchen equipment stall at my local market has some quite small ones.

Thirsty

spiral, deep fat friers are a pain in the A. They coat your kitchen with foul-smelling, difficult to remove grease and the oil has to be replaced every time you cook anything tasty, which isn't a pleasant task.

I gave mine away.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I love my kohlrabi raw, but I remeber a recipe for chips, which sounds good, but i never tried it. Whisk an egg white to fluffy, season to taste and coat veggied in it, bake in a hot oven( on non-sick paper) for about 20 minutes. I think this recipe came from Oprah Winfrey's chef.

Spiral

Thirsty said:
spiral, deep fat friers are a pain in the A. They coat your kitchen with foul-smelling, difficult to remove grease and the oil has to be replaced every time you cook anything tasty, which isn't a pleasant task.

I gave mine away.

Oh.

My stomach turns at the stench of some of the fast food places so I'm wondering if the fact that I'm vegetarian would make a difference to that... no animal fat to go rancid...

Thirsty

spiral, I've only ever used vegetable oil for deep frying, (both at home and at work). Even so, kitchen surfaces soon become sticky with grease which is difficult to remove without using some fairly heavy duty chemicals. I don't think there's that much difference between animal and vegetable oils with regard to this problem.

I agree about the stench from takeaways, though; when the wind's blowing the wrong way the stink emanating from our local McDonalds is most unpleasant. Yuck!

Spiral

Thirsty, if you are cooking animal products the vegetable oil will be come contaminated. This could cause oil to become rancid, although I must confess to not know about this for sure, only that I won't eat food cooked in the same fat as meat.

FattyThinny

Hi i have got a tefal actifry, they are brilliant, you can cook home made chips, oven chips, chicken and lots of other things with little or no oil! It is a bit pricey but we use it a lot and you dont get any smells from it! :D