Chocolate "Sponge" Pudding...Mmmm

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I made the Chocolate sponge pudding from here this evening http://www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk/Recipes.htm
I had it with a few fresh raspberries and some cream. BG before dinner 4.7, after dinner 5. 6 , so another success, lol. The only thing was, it needed slightly longer in the microwave than the suggested 1min 20 secs.

Reactions: 6 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sounds good. I always like to try recipes other people have recommended

Cara

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
xylitol is still a source of carbs, the amount varies from varies from brand to brand, so worth checking the one you use but remember it's extremely toxic in very small amounts to dogs, so don't feed them the leftovers.

"Typically, the dose needed to cause poisoning is at least 0.05 grams per pound of body weight (0.1 grams per kilogram of body weight)."

Last edited by a moderator:

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
ohhh that sounds yummy must check that out x

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
xylitol is still a source of carbs, the amount varies from varies from brand to brand, so worth checking the one you use but remember it's extremely toxic in very small amounts to dogs, so don't feed them the leftovers.

"Typically, the dose needed to cause poisoning is at least 0.05 grams per pound of body weight (0.1 grams per kilogram of body weight)."

Thanks Douglas :). I'm using Total Sweet which is the new name for Perfect Sweet. The Choc pudding was a treat and a bit of an experiment which I have survived, lol. Rosie's diet is better than mine! ( until I started LC ;)) She had a very poor start to her life, the vet queried her ability to survive, so her diet has always been very carefully controlled, does not contain any junk additives or highly processed commercial dog food or chocolate, sweet stuff etc. Her treats" are scraps of meat or fish, especially tuna, which she adores.

You make bread!! My bread machine is presently languishing in the corner of my kitchen so if you're willing to share your recipe it would be most welcome! :)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
ohhh that sounds yummy must check that out x
:) Cath, it's so easy! Made it in a Pyrex jug, lol. Tho' if I make it again will probably use a small basin which will give more surface area and cook in the time recipe suggests.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just long as you don't feed her tipbits of the cake, or put it down where they could get to it, as even 1/4 teaspoon full of xylitol could cause problems apparently.

I don't really use recipes in bread, I normally just substitute the flour with an equivalent volume of rye, oats, chickpea flour, almond flour, or soya, or a mix of any or all, also wheatbran, and recently quinoa and bulgur wheat have gone in.

A bit of cheese, and tomatoes in oil are good in the lighter doughs.
Add the yeast, salt, and sugar, oil, then add some water or milk until it starts to get a reasonable dough texture as the machine mixes.

With it being a more solid mix than white refined flour, I tend to have to scrape it down occasionally with a silicon
cake spatula otherwise you get the splattered bits up the side that burn.

I did find a good quick recipe for bread dumplings though.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/o...ian-Bread-Dumplings-Recipe-Zsemlye-Gomboc.htm

I made about half the quantity, with 1 egg, chick pea flour, and burgen soya and linseed bread, and didn't let it stand, as I didn't have any time.
Worked very well, and gave a very nice dumpling with a stew.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Just long as you don't feed her tipbits of the cake, or put it down where they could get to it, as even 1/4 teaspoon full of xylitol could cause problems apparently.

I don't really use recipes in bread, I normally just substitute the flour with an equivalent volume of rye, oats, chickpea flour, almond flour, or soya, or a mix of any or all, also wheatbran, and recently quinoa and bulgur wheat have gone in.

A bit of cheese, and tomatoes in oil are good in the lighter doughs.
Add the yeast, salt, and sugar, oil, then add some water or milk until it starts to get a reasonable dough texture as the machine mixes.

With it being a more solid mix than white refined flour, I tend to have to scrape it down occasionally with a silicon
cake spatula otherwise you get the splattered bits up the side that burn.

I did find a good quick recipe for bread dumplings though.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/o...ian-Bread-Dumplings-Recipe-Zsemlye-Gomboc.htm

I made about half the quantity, with 1 egg, chick pea flour, and burgen soya and linseed bread, and didn't let it stand, as I didn't have any time.
Worked very well, and gave a very nice dumpling with a stew.

Lots of useful info there! Many thanks......and no, nothing is ever left where Rosie might have access, but anyway, strangely enough, she's not an opportunist food thief :) Thanks again.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
:) Cath, it's so easy! Made it in a Pyrex jug, lol. Tho' if I make it again will probably use a small basin which will give more surface area and cook in the time recipe suggests.
i will be having a bash at that sounds lovley ive been making cookies alot but the sweetner in it just doesnt taste right so choc sponge for a change thanks for sharing xx

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I made the Chocolate sponge pudding from here this evening http://www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk/Recipes.htm
I had it with a few fresh raspberries and some cream. BG before dinner 4.7, after dinner 5. 6 , so another success, lol. The only thing was, it needed slightly longer in the microwave than the suggested 1min 20 secs.
I needed some "comfort food" yesterday so made this chocolate pudding again! I am very passionate about food and honestly, this pud is Orgasmic!! :stinkyfeet: :p

Reactions: 5 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
i will be having a bash at that sounds lovley ive been making cookies alot but the sweetner in it just doesnt taste right so choc sponge for a change thanks for sharing xx
Do you find they are frothy when you take them out? I believe thats the sweetener cooking out. Ive not found a good biscuit recipe that works well.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
the only ones i didnt get that with was peanut butter cookies ,, strangley maybe the extra fat helped, but yes i tend to agree tastes bitter yet to find sweetner i can like, ive started adding virtually little of it but doesnt help either,

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Can I use Stevia instead and if so how much would I use? Can I substitute the cream for Greek yoghurt do you think?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I use Stevia instead and if so how much would I use? Can I substitute the cream for Greek yoghurt do you think?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I actually made this last night using Stevia and it turned out great! I used a generously heaped teaspoon of Stevia. I don't mind the bitter aftertaste any more, so you may want to use a tiny bit less.